Free Project "The Paradise Box" for VCarve Pro & Aspire!

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Re: Free Project "The Paradise Box" for VCarve Pro & Aspire!

Post by fretsman68 »

I put a link for this in the VCarve Pro forum, possibly someone at Vectric could be put a sticky topic there as well?

Thanks so much for this Michael :)
Dave
--------------
Dave

farmertom
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by farmertom »

Hi Michael and all,
I really like the paradise box. I have had a "problem" construction the box and thought i would see if anyone else had the problem also. I cut the two sides. they are exact matches but they are not mirror images of each other. In other words you have to turn one side over so the front, back and bottom fix into the grooves machine into the sides. They do not match up them. When i assemble the box there is a little wobble as the bottoms of the sides are not parallel. Would cutting one side with an inverted X axis make the bottoms parrallel?

Thanks for your help.
farmertom

farmertom
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by farmertom »

I looked a little harder at the .crv file and think it is good. I must have something wrong with my machine. Sorry for the mix up.
farmertom

highway
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: legacy artie 56

Post by highway »

Great project
finished cutting out the box today and am having trouble locating the piano hinge
micheals or hobby lobby don't have them and the ones at the borg are to large.
rocklers are to large and i couldn't find it at mcfeeleys or woodcraft. did i miss them

thank you for the great project

highway
legacy arty 58, vcarve pro, cut 3d, photo vcarve, 3d machinist, aspire,Turbocad 18,coreldraw x5

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

highway wrote:Great project
finished cutting out the box today and am having trouble locating the piano hinge
micheals or hobby lobby don't have them and the ones at the borg are to large.
rocklers are to large and i couldn't find it at mcfeeleys or woodcraft. did i miss them

thank you for the great project

highway

Thank you.

The 8" x 3/4" piano hinges seem to be discontinued by the online source I normally order from. Lowes and Home Depot used to have them, but looks like they have discontinued them as well. Brainerd was the brand-name. Perhaps an eBay source may be worth checking into?

I'm afraid you (we) may have to use more "standard" hinges until another source can be located. I believe most hardware stores (and Lowes, Home Depot, Michael Arts & Crafts) will have some 3/4" (open dimension) hinges that can be used instead of the piano-style hinges that I am (or was) so fond of! Used them for years and am a little puzzled why suddenly they have become so scarce/discontinued.

I may give up on brass hinges and start making wooden hinges if this keeps up! :)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

highway
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: legacy artie 56

Post by highway »

Michael

thanks for the reply. I reckon i could come up with something.
really enjoyed the project that newbies can do. Helps get the
blood going and brain ticking.

highway
legacy arty 58, vcarve pro, cut 3d, photo vcarve, 3d machinist, aspire,Turbocad 18,coreldraw x5

mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 4' x 8' CNC Router/Plasma

Post by mountaincraft »

Getting close to having my table ready to try and tackle this project...

When you guys were selecting wood, I guess the general idea is that I should use a couple pieces glued side by each for the top and bottom, mirrored so they counteract any tendency to want to warp?

For those of you who did this project or others like it, did you just glue the pieces and clamp them, or did you use biscuits or dowels? What glue did you use, elmers, gorilla glue, or?

Also, I do not yet own a surface planer or drum sander... After gluing, can I use the table to resurface the glued pieces, and then carve, ore sho0uld I just sand it, do both, neither? Suggestions are really appreciated...

Thanks,
Mark

JMD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix GX2525 with rotary

Post by JMD »

farmertom wrote:Hi Michael and all,
I really like the paradise box. I have had a "problem" construction the box and thought i would see if anyone else had the problem also. I cut the two sides. they are exact matches but they are not mirror images of each other. In other words you have to turn one side over so the front, back and bottom fix into the grooves machine into the sides. They do not match up them. When i assemble the box there is a little wobble as the bottoms of the sides are not parallel. Would cutting one side with an inverted X axis make the bottoms parrallel?

Thanks for your help.
farmertom
Tom,
I had the same problem. Could both of our machines have the same problem? Anyway, I fix my box by just sanding the bottoms of the feet. Used some sandpaper on my saw table.
Just my 2cents worth.
John :wink:

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

I took some pictures of some of the boxes I have been making today so thought I would go ahead and post them.

As you can see the boxes are made from Michael Tyler's project of the month plan posted on Vectric forum March 2011 (The Paradise Box). I like the proportions of the boxes, it gives a lot of room to carve on the lid and front of the box. My designer wife likes the size and uses them for decorating, she doesn't like to small of box so these are perfect. I want to thank Michael and Vectric for the great help they provide us. I've also used many 3D items from Vector Art 3D including things from the Design and Carve series both wild life and western provided by James B. James provides a lot of tutorials that really help get people going and give us a lot of food for thought on our designs.

I also found that you can buy a 7" by 3/4" continuous hinge from www. klockit.com Item # 39959 for $4.99 each. I haven't ordered any yet but I plan to.

Hope you enjoy looking at the boxes half as much as I did making them.

Thanks for looking.
Mark
Attachments
S6100 boxes 9-19-11 001 (800x600).jpg
S6100 boxes 9-19-11 010 (800x600).jpg
S6100 boxes run 2 9-19-11 015 (800x600).jpg
S6100 boxes 9-19-11 018 (800x600).jpg
S6100 boxes 9-19-11 019 (800x600).jpg
S6100 boxes 9-19-11 024 (800x600).jpg

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Mark,

excellent work on customizing Michael's great project. Hopefully some of these will be coming to the User Group with you?

Cheers,
James

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

Thanks James,
I will bring a couple of boxes to put on the show and tell table, I'm driving so shouldn't be a problem. I'm really looking forward to all the presentations.

Mark

marte
Model of CNC Machine: cnc auto costruita area di lavoro 800*50

Post by marte »

Hi I can not download the files, maybe I am wrong.
I can teach someone how to download files.

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

Hi Marte,

I'm not sure what you are asking.

If you are trying to download the free Vectric monthly project "The Paradise Box" then you need to go to the Vectric web page stated in the very first post on this thread, it's http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... se-box.htm
once there you can click on the "Download Files" box and you can click on "save as" and it should download into your computer.

Once on your computer depending on what operating system your PC is running you need to unzip the files. After that you can follow the instructions provided by Michael T and Vectric to run the original box. The instructions are very good and clear.

I hope this is what you are asking but if it isn't please ask again and give us more details about what you want.

Good luck.
Mark

marte
Model of CNC Machine: cnc auto costruita area di lavoro 800*50

Post by marte »

but maybe I can save the format I can not open.
I vcarve 5.5 pro, maybe the format can not read

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

Marte,

The requirements for the project are Vcarve Pro V6 or Aspire V3. This is probably your problem.

Mark