mach 3 and rotary

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

mach 3 and rotary

Post by jseiler »

I'm a shopbot geek, but I've been playing with a rotary axis machine with geckodrive g540 and mach3. I've got mach3 setup to jog with the x, z and a axes, now I'd like to try to cut some rotary files. I didn't see a mach 3 rotary postp. I need a postp that will work with the A axis of rotation = x axis, an A axis in degrees and I'm not seeing anything that makes sense. Any help out there?

Thanks,
John

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Re: mach 3 and rotary

Post by Greolt »

John

Look in the Post Processor folder for "05-Wrapped / Mach". This should have what you need.

You are looking for a file called Mach2_3_Y-A_ATC_inch.pp or Mach2_3_Y-A_ATC_mm.pp They are not very intuitively named. :)

These will wrap X to A. They will show up in the drop down list as Mach2/3-WrapX2A ATC(inch)(*.txt).

Place the one you want in the top level of the PP folder and restart.

Greg

jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jseiler »

I'm still a little confused about naming conventions. My machine has an x axis that moves down the length of the work, and z axis that drives the router bit into the centerline of work. The A axis spins the centerline of the work down the x axis.

Do we call that wrapping the Y to A, or X to A?

thanks for the help, greg.

John

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

You are wrapping your Y moves around the X axis so that would be "Y to A".
You still want X moves
you still want Z moves
but you want Y moves to turn into A movements.
Attachments
WrapYaroundX.JPG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

jseiler wrote:I'm still a little confused about naming conventions. My machine has an x axis that moves down the length of the work, and z axis that drives the router bit into the centerline of work. The A axis spins the centerline of the work down the x axis.

Do we call that wrapping the Y to A, or X to A?
Yes as Randall said you are wrapping Y coordinates around the X axis.

And yes it can get a little confusing. Especially the way the PPs have been named.

So contrary to what I said above, you need the PPs that have file names Mach2_3_X-A_ATC_inch.pp or Mach2_3_X-A_ATC_mm.pp

Which will show in the drop down list as Mach2/3-WrapY2A ATC(inch)(*.txt) or Mach2/3-WrapY2A ATC(mm)(*.txt)

Also as you are coming from Shopbot experience to Mach3 you will be better off if you change to conventional direction of rotation.

Conventional direction will show up correctly in Mach toolpath preview. This is easily established by following the Right Hand Rule, pic below.

Greg
Attachments
RightHandRule.jpg

jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jseiler »

Worked like a charm. Thanks guys. I should have some pictures to post in a couple of weeks.

cybertech99

Post by cybertech99 »

Is it possible to migrate these PP's to cut2d and cut3d? I tried copying them but get some errors.

Thanks
Roger

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Roger,

No, I am afraid that neither Cut2D nor Cut3D support wrapped rotary toolpaths.
So the post processors being discussed on this topic, do not apply.

Cheers,

Mark.

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi roger

on your own, you can wrap stock models from vectorart3d, or vectors... no support on these, but you can research on the forum... you will find post about litophane was wrapped with photovcarve.. basically all vectric program can make wrapping, trough on editing postprocessor..
aspire and vcarve postprocessors working with variables that cut2d and 3d don't use.. so you can't use them, but you can modify the exist postprocessor comes with these..

all secret is , to know how transfer the Y or X axis movement to A axis..

look at for this post

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 93&p=44966&

viktor

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

cybertech99 wrote:Is it possible to migrate these PP's to cut2d and cut3d? I tried copying them but get some errors.
My recommendation for wrapping Cut2D and Cut3D toolpaths is to have a look at CNCWrapper,

http://www.cncwrapper.com/

It has a very good help file and is easy to use. Works extremely well.

Have a look at this link,

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6449

It talks mostly about Aspire (before Aspire had wrapping built in) but it applies to these other programs just as well.

Greg

cybertech99

Post by cybertech99 »

I have been looking at cnc wrapper. I am a programmer so I have put together my own program to wrap the y axis to a but I would rather do a post processor, but if I can't prompt for the value (ie circumference) and I don't see where I can do the math I guess I'm stuck with an external solution.

rees

Post by rees »

Hi
Where can I download that menu for turning code making (in Aspire) I have aspire3. and mach3/home build machine.
I am building a lathes cnc control, X axis rotates normally and feeding modes should be making the y-axis.
Thanks help

rees

Post by rees »

Hi
Ai ask he other,
It should be lathed shape and use of the x and y axes, the depth of pass y-axis.
How do I make g-code in aspire3 ?
A rotary cutting saw blade is done.