Tengential Knife pp

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
Posthill
Vectric Apprentice

Tengential Knife pp

Post by Posthill »

I searched and found one post on this subject. Basically Brian said no, but that was in 2008. Surely since 2 years has past there may be some other possibilities?

How else would I control the knife?

Anyone?

JP
Jeff Postma
Aspire User
www.posthill-innovations.com
Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: Tengential Knife pp

Post by gravirozo »

hi posthill

simple way you can not, for knife the tool need to move over on the node and moving on a loop back on the direction of the next segment...
might be someone knows program... roland and a few plottermaker implemented in their program... but to use a plotterdriver to drive router or other equipment is not simple usertask..
the waterjet and flamecuts has similar feature...

viktor

Paul A
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot-Laser-Custom CNC & Indexer

Post by Paul A »

Jeff,

I have done it on my Shopbot cutting foam inserts, Bill Young wrote a post for a tangentel knife on a 4th axis.

I know it won't help you at present, but I will have a look to see if it will output G code.

Paul
Paul

If you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

http://www.fretworks.co.uk/

Posthill
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Posthill »

Thanks Paul. Sounds interesting...
Jeff Postma
Aspire User

Posthill
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Posthill »

Although I'm using flashcut I found this in the Mach 3 Manual.

"4.9 Knife direction control
Rotary axis A can be configured so it is rotates to ensure that a tool like a knife is tangential
to the direction of movement in G1 moves of X and Y. This allows implementation of a
vinyl or fabric cutter with fully controlled knife.
Note: in the current version this features does not work with arcs (G2/G3 moves). It is your
responsibility to program curves as a series of G1 moves."

Has anyone ever tried to cut vinyl with a tangential stepper controlled knife using Mach 3? It appears that it can be done without a special pp.

JP
Jeff Postma
Aspire User

robotmar

Post by robotmar »

Hi

If you are interested, I have developed a new multi tool "Sistema Quattro" (see it on Youtube or on my web www.robotfactory.it), this is a novelty at a global level.

You can search the video on Youtube with " robotfactorysrl ".

Videoes have the explanations in Italian but this there is no problem about seen that the images speak by it self.

The principle of operation bases oneself on the option of Mach3 "Tangential Control" and the possibility to change the head to do different works.

This is only one of the many examples about how it works:

Andrea

ManitobaKeith
Vectric Wizard

Post by ManitobaKeith »

Pretty nice. I had a bit of trouble navigating your site, but very interesting! Lots of other interesting items. Too bad I don't understand Italian.

The correct video is just below the text "Questo è un semplice assaggio..."
Keith
It is not only what we do,but also what we do not do,for which we are accountable-Jean Moliere

cavalino
Model of CNC Machine: routerland

Post by cavalino »

Hi Andrea... Interesting work but was not a novelty . RIO glass CNC cutter have an rotating "A" axis with glass cutter as tool. They use tangential control from mach3 to mover over toolpath. I have one of these machine but modified to cut leather. The real problem is mach3 because the cutting tool rotate after contact with material. The A axis wil be rotate before Z down
robotmar wrote:Hi

If you are interested, I have developed a new multi tool "Sistema Quattro" (see it on Youtube or on my web http://www.robotfactory.it), this is a novelty at a global level.

You can search the video on Youtube with " robotfactorysrl ".

Videoes have the explanations in Italian but this there is no problem about seen that the images speak by it self.

The principle of operation bases oneself on the option of Mach3 "Tangential Control" and the possibility to change the head to do different works.

This is only one of the many examples about how it works:

Andrea

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home built shopbot clone. CNC lathe

Post by Dclifton2 »

Are you using Mach3? If so tangents are very easy to do. Visit http://www.4axiscnc.com and look at the two different tangent cutters. Very easy to setup.
Thank
Don Clifton

Tweakie
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by Tweakie »

The Mach3 (latest version) Tangential control works correctly with straight lines (G1) but still has problems with circles (G2,G3) where it may rotate the knife after it has entered the work. If the start direction for a circle is in the same direction as the last line cut then there is no problem but if a tool-path has been optimized then this is unlikely to be the case.
The easiest ‘work-around’ is to program leads (in and out) with exactly the same radius as the circle - this way the knife rotates to the correct direction at the start of the lead and before it has entered the work.

Tweakie.

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard

Post by Dclifton2 »

You are thinking of a drag knife. a tangent knife follows the cut and only messes up the corners if you use a large knife blade. In Mach 3 it will give you a lift at the end of a line segment and prep the blade for the next line or arc before the blade drops down. I have used a tangent cutter for fabric, cardboard, coraplast, and foam with a hotwire setup to do large molds. I have some example on my web site of arc's but doesn't show lifts.
Donald Clifton
4axiscnc.com

P.S.
I haven't tried the latest version so I don't know if there is a problem with it are not. I tend to stay with what works.

Tweakie
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by Tweakie »

I have both a 'drag knife' for vinyl cutting and a 'tangential knife' for gaskets so should know the difference. :D

Tweakie.

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard

Post by Dclifton2 »

I happy for you.
Don clifton