Using VCarve on a non-cnc machine?

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
Ken

Using VCarve on a non-cnc machine?

Post by Ken »

We built our own engraver specifically to engrave control panels / button layouts / Regulatory labels for custom control systems. We have used it for several years with good results- however, it suffers from rounded corners / lack of detail much as you have pointed out in your comparisons of your software vs other's software approaches.

What kind of output file does this program create? Our present system uses X, Y and Z commands as well as F(eedrate) and TA (time to accel in msec) and TS (time to spend in S-curve). I am certain that we can embed G-Code motion programs that emulate all G-Code functions and would be called when G-Codes are downloaded to the controller.

Also - how large are the files? (I realize that this is a function of what you want to engrave, but can you provide examples of engraved images and relative file size?) We can handle files upwards of 500kb, but beyond that we need to use a rotary buffer - again, not a problem, but we would need to address this.

Our existing system also makes use of look-ahead, which has cut our engraving time by as much as 50% . . . do you have any comments about continuing to use this feature with your system. The motion controller we use is manufactured by Delta Tau Data systems and works well, my concern is that we would like to keep this system without incurring any headaches should we choose to upgrade to your software.

Thanks,

Ken

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Ken,

VCW has a configurable postprocessor that can very easly be modified to output most file formats.

The Trial Version includes many standard output options such as G-Code and HPGL Plot files that will most CNC control systems. We can out put the X, Y, Z points and the associated plunge & surface cutting feedrates, but not the acceleration and deceleration variables.

If you would like to send us a sample file, we can write a postprocessor to match the required file format.

support@vectric.com

You will then be able to run tests on your machine by saving toolpaths for the Sample Files.

G-Code is one of the most common interface formats and we have always been able to work with such control systems.

I hope this helps and answers your questions,

Regards,
Tony

hbhbbb

Post by hbhbbb »

Sounds good - what about relative file size for some of the examples posted on this website?

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Ken,

The file size for each cnc toolpath will vary depending upon the actual size and complexity of the design.

To give you a feel for size,

Cutting Slate Sign shown in the Gallery at 12" x 10" with a 90 degree V-Bit creates a 0.5Mb G-Code file

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56

Cutting the Wendy's Sign shown below at 36" x 36" with a combination of 4 different cutters to create
the finished piece will require a 2Mb+ G-Code file.

Hope this helps,

Tony Mac
Attachments
s.jpg
(231.34 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

Ken

Post by Ken »

That tells me what I need to know - I'll run the toolpath through a rotory buffer.

I'll go over this with my co-workers this next week and see if this will fly.

Thank you for the prompt responses for information.

Ken