Reverse Z-axis

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
Zax

Reverse Z-axis

Post by Zax »

Hi,

I am able to use the MultiCam Gcode Inch (.cnc) file but need the Z-axis reversed so positive is up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Zax.

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Zax,

Let us have your e-mail address (or e-mail support@vectric.com) and we can give you a postprocessor that has the Z Axis inverted.

The postprocessor is an open system and can be edited using a text editor such as NotePad, but to be safe we would prefer to send you the file.

Tony Mac

Zax

Post by Zax »

Tony,

Thanks.

The information was sufficient, in fact better than I'd expected. I am able to create the exact output I want, which means I'll be able to test the demo version on my router.

If the on screen simulation is anything to go by I'm sure it'll be impressive.

Zax.

Uncle Hai
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Uncle Hai »

Hi Tony,
I'm just curious about reverse Z "that the Z-axis reversed so positive is up" Zax talking to you.
Sorry for intrusion of this matter.
Could you send me a postprocessor that has the Z Axis inverted?
(The postprocessor is an open system and can be edited using a text editor such as NotePad)....you said.
I use PRT96 ShopBot and full version VCW2.
Thanks,

Uncle Hai

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi again,

Remove the '|-1' from the 2 z-axis variables

VAR Z_POSITION = [Z|C|Z|1.4|-1] - original syntax

VAR Z_POSITION = [Z|C|Z|1.4] - modified

VAR Z_HOME_POSITION = [ZH|A|Z|1.4|-1]- original syntax

VAR Z_HOME_POSITION = [ZH|A|Z|1.4] - modified

Save the new postp making sure the file name has the extension .pp
(common problem is that the Text Editor adds a .txt extension, which stops it being loaded by VCW)

Please could you send us a copy of your edited postp that works on your machine?

Uncle Hai - the ShopBot postp already has a standard Z axis movement, where moves into the material are -ve Z values. Some of the Multicam controllers use the opposite convention where a -ve Z value is above the material.

The notes above simply remove a scaling factor of -1 that inverts the Z axis output from the software.

I would recommend you DO NOT experiment with the postprocessor as this could result in damage to your jobs and possibly the machine.

Uncle Hai
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Uncle Hai »

Hi Tony,
Thanks for sending the file but after reading the thread you've sent,
I'm kind of back out for little while for this matter.
Maybe I'm getting in this conclution too soon instead of seat there to observe more.
Keep good work.
Thanks again for your time.

Regards,
Uncle Hai