machine or Gcode issue

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: machine or Gcode issue

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I believe there should be option "don't lift the tool" or something like that to remedy the issue.
I discussed this with Vectric a few years ago. From a programming standpoint there are some edge cases that make this problem tougher to solve. A shape like the one below makes it impossible to machine everything from bottom to top without lifting the bit, or without wasting a lot of time machining air.
Attachments
3DAsterix.JPG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

MrYuri
Model of CNC Machine: F-600

Post by MrYuri »

when I thought of it I realized that tool will have to make a move over the air one way or the other.
So basically the workaround is best option for many cases for this kind of application.

At least we can modify the path a bit by outlined vectors.

Happy to know someone was on it already.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Rcnewcomb wrote:A shape like the one below makes it impossible to machine everything from bottom to top without lifting the bit, or without wasting a lot of time machining air.
I found a way to do that in one continuous path but humans are born pattern-matchers. Hint: when going up a dead-end branch don't cut all the way from side to side to leave yourself an exit path coming back down.

Any software would have to "know" about shapes to replicate what we can do.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Any software would have to "know" about shapes to replicate what we can do.
Actually the Vectric products do have optimized code for certain shapes: rectangles, ovals, circles, squares. But when dealing with irregular shapes they have to use a more general purpose algorithm.

FYI, I looked back at my support notes and I was on a rant about this on May 10, 2010. I had skipped the roughing pass, and when the finish toolpath jumped to a new area it plunged the rather expensive bit at full depth into a piece of hard maple. Neither the bit nor the block of hard maple survived the experience. :oops:
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop