Needing a PP for Onsrud with OSAI controller

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
Darry
Model of CNC Machine: Onsrud & DIY (Home)

Needing a PP for Onsrud with OSAI controller

Post by Darry »

First post so I'll try to get all the info right.
I run an Onsrud 148HD18D with dual vacuum tables and a 12 station ATC with 0SAI series 10 control software at work.
We are allowed to do personal project during off shift times.
I'm trying to figure out which PP I need or if I'll need to modify one. So far the Osai Arcs ATC(inch)(*.nc) appears to output the closest file to what I normally run on the machine. I've run a test file thru most of the PP listed in the software related to my machine to figure this much out, however there are several commands missing from the header info which leads me to believe I'm going to need to modify this PP.

So my first question is just exactly what does the PP do? I'm assuming from what I see so far that it basically adds the machine setup codes in the header then modifies the .crv file info to add the tool info and path info then finally inputs the footer file with the shutdown codes for that particular machine. (simplified)

Yes I've read the help file on editing a PP in the help section of the software. Can I take a working file from our system at work and copy in the needed header/footer info into the edited PP?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Needing a PP for Onsrud with OSAI controller

Post by Rcnewcomb »

So my first question is just exactly what does the PP do?
In the Vectric software, when you create toolpaths, these are basically stored as moves from one point to the next using the X,Y, and Z start and end points. The software also notes whether this as a rapid move or jog where no cutting is taking place, or a regular cutting move. It will also track arc moves.

As you correctly noted in your description, when you save the toolpaths using a particular post-processor,
  • it writes the header information
    it combines the information from the toolpath operations and maps it to the specific machine commands, if the machine doesn't support arc moves then it translates those arc moves into many short lines to form an arc
    finally it writes the footer information to shut down the cutting operation
I've read the help file on editing a PP in the help section of the software. Can I take a working file from our system at work and copy in the needed header/footer info into the edited PP?
That is a reasonable starting place. The same applies for the footer information.

Proceed carefully and try to understand that each command in the header and footer is doing.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Darry
Model of CNC Machine: Onsrud & DIY (Home)

Re: Needing a PP for Onsrud with OSAI controller

Post by Darry »

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll bring home a couple of files tomorrow then and we'll see what is what I suppose.

I've got a copy of the Osai manual as well, but it seems more oriented to types of operation and how to program them, i.e. canned cycles and probing cycles etc. :?

D