VCarve PP issues

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
Lodds
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XL

VCarve PP issues

Post by Lodds »

Guys,

Hoping someone can help?

I have just purchased VCarve Destop software and going through the video tutorials.
Every time I create a project either from following the tutorial or my own very simple project the cutter dives down to .5".
I have set up a simple pocket cut of 0.125 and every time the cutter follows along the pattern but 4 times the depth.
I'm using UGCS, xPro Controller V3 and VCarve Desktop. Post processor used in VCarve is G Code (inch)(*.tap)

I have run a small pocket cutout created in MakerCam, this run successfully.

I have tried all relevant G Code and gbrl PP's without success.

Would appreciate any ideas or thoughts as I am well and truly stuck.

regards
Tony

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: VCarve PP issues

Post by Adrian »

Where are you setting the Z-zero? Material surface or table surface? Is it matching in VCarve and your control software?

Lodds
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XL

Post by Lodds »

An update.

I run the same small pocket test design with Cut2D this worked fine. With both MakerCam and Cut2D working okay the finger firmly points at VCarve. Both Cut2D and VCarve are Vectric pieces of software. My thoughts turned to application conflicts so I uninstalled both Cut2D and VCarve. I then reinstalled VCarve and run the test again, this time it worked perfectly.

It looks like Vectric cannot work with 2 applications installed.

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

Lodds wrote:It looks like Vectric cannot work with 2 applications installed.
Strange that you have that issue.
I have Aspire, Photo VCarve and Cut 3D installed and Never had these issues.
Are you sure you selected the correct Post Processor?
As Adrian said are you setting Z-zero correct?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Vectric software can definitely work with two or more versions installed. I have multiple versions of Cut2D, VCarve and Aspire all installed and working perfectly. The post processors and program settings are all kept totally separate so there can't be a conflict between the different programs.

Rather than uninstalling you should have checked the settings between Cut2D and VCarve to see what was different. We'll never know now but the only thing I can think of (assuming the correct post processor was being used) is that the Z zero settings were different.