Smothness of arcs to lines

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
RichardF
Vectric Craftsman

Smothness of arcs to lines

Post by RichardF »

Hi,

can I decrease the smothness arcs are broken into lines during output or is it hardcoded ?

Can I let automatic insert after each coordinate a line with changing text from one insert to another ?

Thanks for the help,

Richard

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Smothness of arcs to lines

Post by Adrian »

If you want to preserve arcs then you should use a post processor that supports arcs. Otherwise to control the lines you would need to do the break down in VCarve (with the Fit Curves to Vectors tool) before outputting the toolpath files.

You can modify a post processor to insert text into the output file at most changes. There is a guide to editing the post processor on the Help menu of Aspire and VCarve that will give you all the information you need.

RichardF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RichardF »

Thanks Adrian,

gonna have a look at the Fit Curves to Vectors tool and see how it can help me.

Already read the PP guide. Must have a closer look at it.

Richard

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

The convert to curves might help for some types of machining but for laser cutting there are entirely too many sections in the output code and I find that to get a smoother cut with the laser if I import the file into Plasma Cam I can convert to arcs which creates a much smoother path for the Amada laser to work with. I think it would be great if the Vectric software would have a tool to convert to arcs but this method is our workaround for a smoother cut edge and also it yields a much smaller file which also helps.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I thought Richard was looking for a way to control how arcs are converted into lines rather than a way of making lines into arcs.

The Fit Curves to Vectors tool will convert line segments and beziers to arcs though if that is what is needed. To preserve the arcs in the output code the post processor used must have the CW_ARC_MOVE and CCW_ARC_MOVE sections in it.

RichardF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RichardF »

I thought Richard was looking for a way to control how arcs are converted into lines
That's right Adrian.

I just wanted to reduce the amount of segments an arc is broken during output to nc code and the Fit Curves to Vectors tool seems a good way. :D

Thanks

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Sorry if I misunderstood the question, and glad to see the curve fit tool will work for you.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake