Post processor difficulty

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
mphillips

Post processor difficulty

Post by mphillips »

I am having difficulty downloading the evaluation files properly. I have a K2cnc 2514 and I am using Mach 2. I have downloaded the profile for my machine to allow it to communicate with Mach 2 but when I load the evaluation files they come out etremely small, scrambled or incomplete.
Anyone have any ideas about what I am doing wrong?

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with the Mach postprocessor.

It sounds like the control software thinks the toolpath data in in MM's and is scaling the toolpaths to 1 : 25th of the correct size.

I believe the G-Code Postprocessors can also be used with the Mach control software.

Please try this and if you still have a problem please e-mail support@vectric.com and we will see what else can be done to resolve the problem.

Tony

mphillips

Post processor problem

Post by mphillips »

Tony,
Thanks for your quick reply! I have tried the G-code processors as well as the .DXF route among others without any luck. I guess I'll just keep trying and if nothing comes of it I will e-mail your support and go from there.
Thanks,
Marty

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Marty,

The attached postp should run the K2 Machines.

Copy this into the folder,

C:\Program Files\VCarve Wizard Trial 2.0\PostP

Restart the software and the new postp will appear in the list on the Save Toolpaths form,

K2CNC G-Code (inch) (*.tap)

Let us know how you get on?

Tony
Attachments
K2_GCode_inch.zip
(909 Bytes) Downloaded 394 times

mphillips

Post by mphillips »

Tony,
Thanks for taking the time to send the K2 file but I am still experiencing the same conditions unfortunately. I have attempted to scale the files in Mach 2 but get some strange results. The Z axis actually ends up moving in a positive direction instead of going into the material in a negative direction.
I have tried all of the possible machine profiles that are loaded in Mach 2 but still have the problem.
I am going to continue to try as many combinations as I can to hopefully get it right.
I'll let you know how I make out. I am very anxious to experiment with your software.
Marty

hbhbbb

Post by hbhbbb »

Tony,
I was finally able to get something finally although in a pretty roundabout way!
I created a file out of the "Open.crv" file and saved it with the K2 file you gave me yesterday.
I ended up having to scale all three axis in Mach 2 by a factor of 10 and I had to reverse the direction on the X and Z axis because it was cutting backwards for some reason.
It came out reasonably well for a first try.
Any thoughts as to why all of this had to be done?
Thanks for your help!
Marty

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Marty,
Does your machine work correctly with other gcode (non-VCW generated). In Mach2 what do you have your units set to? It really sounds to me like you might have your 'Steps per Unit' on the Motor Tuning screen goofed up in Mach2. I'm 10 tpi x 8 microsteps x 200 steps/rev so my steps per unit for each axis are 16000.

Hope this helps, let me know.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

mphillips

Post by mphillips »

Jay,

Thanks a lot for your help! I went in and changed the steps per unit to 16000 and ran a file without cutting. Wow! It flew! I knew I wouldn't be able to cut at that speed so I went back in and adjusted the velocity and acceleration to what I thought was reasonable. I haven't yet cut a file with these new settings but it certainly seems like you have me on the right track. I did read some of the manual on line about making all of these setting changes but had you not given me this information it would have been a long time before I figured it out myself!
Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how it works out when I actually cut something.
Marty

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Glad I could help. Do you know what the specs on your leadscrews are? To get your machine set to the right settings you need to know the turns per inch on your leadscrews, what stepping you're running on your controller and how many steps per rev on your motors. This info might have come with your K2. If not you should check out www.cnczone.com and search the forums there. There's a lot of information there to look through but they've really helped me figure things out. And if you can't find what your looking for ask and someone’s always happy to help.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

mphillips

Post by mphillips »

Jay,
I ran another file this evening with the new settings you provided me with. The machine ran great and the file cut like a charm. The only problem was that the end result was just a little smaller than the design was when I generated it. My guess is that I'll have to read up further on the unit setting formula.
I'll get to that soon!
Thanks again for your help!
Marty