Mach3 drilling

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
gregan
Model of CNC Machine: 1325

Mach3 drilling

Post by gregan »

Hi,

my name is Grega, and I'm new here. I have a following problem I'm using Aspire 4.0 and I want to make a postprocessor for drilling. I want to work it this way:

1. It should drill CW with user defined plunge rate and spindle speed
2. When it reaches maximum cutting depth, it should stop the spindle and start the spindle CCW and retract at the same plunge rate and spindle speed as it was drilling the hole

I want to know if it's even possible to make a posprocessor that would work as it described it. Does anyone have it or can anyone give me advice how to make it?

Thank you very much for your help! Excuse se for my bad english :oops:

Greetings,
Grega

PS: I'm using Mach3

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Mach3 drilling

Post by Adrian »

I think you would be better of creating a Mach3 macro and then calling that from the Post Processor. Assuming such a thing is possible. It is with my ShopBot but that doesn't run Mach3.

Why do you want to drill that way? With the peck and dwell options available now I've never seen anyone ask for a toolpath like that.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Mach3 drilling

Post by Leo »

Sounds like a solid tapping cycle.

I doubt you will get that to happen in Mach3

You will also need to ramp the rotation to a stop - then ramp up on the retract.

Other than tapping - what is the process for?

Possible some sort of spiral groove - like rifling inside a gun barrel?
Would still need to ramp down and back up.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC