Heidenhain 360

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
apcoengineering
Model of CNC Machine: 6040 + Mach3

Heidenhain 360

Post by apcoengineering »

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you could tell me whether or not the Heidenhain postprocessors in Aspire will work with a Heidenhain 360 controller, including tool changes?

I'll be hooking another PC up to it and transferring it blockwise over serial.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Heidenhain 360

Post by Leo »

Heidenhain follows pretty standard g-code and I would bet they use an M6 to do the tool change.

The Vectric post processor is easily user configurable so - any standard g-code post could be configured for the Heidenhain controller.

Don't make a decision based on my answer - this must be answered by Vectric directly - but this is my opinion.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

apcoengineering

Leo wrote:Heidenhain follows pretty standard g-code and I would bet they use an M6 to do the tool change.

The Vectric post processor is easily user configurable so - any standard g-code post could be configured for the Heidenhain controller.

Don't make a decision based on my answer - this must be answered by Vectric directly - but this is my opinion.
After a lot of mucking around we've got it sorted. Good learning curve for me though =)
Heidenhain can use standard g-code, but they do also have their own language which seems more friendly in some ways to me.

I edited the "Heidenhain_arcs_mm" file to suit, noting that it is actually set up in imperial, not in metric btw.
So that was the first fix, the rest was enabling the tool change section, removing the TOOL DEF line (not required at all, that is set up in the controller), and removing the M06 command completely as the "TOOL CALL" line has the same function, so it was stalling the program.

apcoengineering

One more question;

First line of my header is this:

Code: Select all

begin HEADER

"[N] BEGIN PGM VECTRIC MM"
Now on the Heidenhain it requires both the physical program name XXXX.H to be numeric, and also within the program "VECTRIC" (also in the footer) must be changed to XXXX (numbers).
I'm just doing this manually in notepad at the moment before transferring to the machine.
Is there a way to pull in the program name when saving the toolpath?