Which ShopBot post processor?

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
MCochrane
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT 9648 V4G

Which ShopBot post processor?

Post by MCochrane »

I have a new-to-me ShopBot PRT 96 with a V4g controller - an older, upgraded machine running the latest version of ShopBot's software. Which of the various Vectric post processors for ShopBot best applies to my machine? Thanks!

Mike

WhittlinShed
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRT Standard

Re: Which ShopBot post processor?

Post by WhittlinShed »

I'm a newbie too, so I may not be telling you the exact correct answer, but I am running an old 96x48 with upgrade to 4g also... When I save I use the "ShopBot (inch) (*.sbp)" processor

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The latest ShopBot Post Processors are also installed as part of the latest ShopBot control software and can be found in "c:\sbparts\partworksposts" in a standard install. There are now only two, one for Inch and one for MM.

Gc3

Post by Gc3 »

shopbot(arcs)(inch)(*.sbp)

Mike-Select
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by Mike-Select »

For My Bot I use Shopbot TC(Inch)(*.sbp) The TC allows for tool change so all toolpaths can be saved in one file. I don't know if this something new or it was something Ryan created for our Bot. Seems to work seamlessly.We have a non typical alpha with 2 z axis and 2 air drills mounted on the z axis but the PP just uses the main z axis and promps you for the tool change
Mike

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

The latest posts for both ATC and MTC (automatic and manual tool change) are the "ShopBot TC (inch)" and "ShopBot TC (mm)" and are included as Adrian says. They will allow a single head user to manually change to multiple bits within a single file for a given project. On a clean install of SB3 these should work well on any ShopBot 4G or newer.....but:

If you have user created files occupying C6, C7 or C9 that are not removed prior to install, the system will not work. Some systems without spindle speed control, or users that prefer to use one bit per file should use the "ShopBot Arcs (inch)" for general cutting as it converts arcs to GCode circles, reduces file size and increases cut quality on circular vectors. In many cases "the old standby"; "ShopBot (inch)" works well, but converts all circular vectors into segmented polylines.

In any case, you should be able to pick the one that suits you the best and modify it to your liking. The kind folks at Vectric have both enabled us this great feature and educated us with the Post Processor editing Guide.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com