Switching between exact stop and constant velocity

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
mswanner
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Smartshop

Switching between exact stop and constant velocity

Post by mswanner »

Can this be done in the post? if the distance between points is less than .1 then it throws a G64 in there and switches back for the next long move?

I have a Laguna Smartshop with a Mach3 controller - I am set up with two post now, one for CV and one for exact stop, but many ramp and other moves are output in small segments so when I need square corners on parts and it's running in exact stop the small segments make the machine crawl and vibrate. If I try to run it in CV the corners are severely lopped off on parts when set to cut at 300ipm.

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Re: Switching between exact stop and constant velocity

Post by sailfl »

You might want to post this on the Mach forum.

garyb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by garyb »

You will find the cv setting for this on the config>general config page
you will also find an explanation of this in the cv doc on the Mach forum
Gary
Beckwith Decor Products
Custom CNC Tooling/Onsrud Distributor
http://www.beckwithdecor.com

jam1962
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Self built 36x25x7

Post by jam1962 »

There is a setting in Mach to stop CV at when it sees a angle greater then (what ever you enter).
Jay Morris...

mswanner
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Smartshop

Post by mswanner »

The stop angle in the CV settings doesn't seem to do anything, it's always been set at 90 but it still leaves me with a 1/2 radius on the outside corner of a 2x2 part when cutting at a decent speed, doing and interior profile cut the corners are even worse and there is material left in the corner where it starts where it curves around and never traces back over the start point in the corner.

I was hoping Laguna would have a solution by tweaking the constant velocity settings cut they're answer is pretty much it is what it is. I guess it's on to the Mach3 forums to pursue a solution through the controller but it seemed like if what I asked about was possible it would be the simplest most accurate solution. I've always heard constant velocity mode will round corners slightly but on this setup the results are no good unless it's v-carving or relief cutting.

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by sailfl »

mswanner

Read the Mach docs on CV. It does work but you have to tweak some other settings. You just don't change one thing. Do some testing after you read the docs.