Customizing import settings and post

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
Brent C
Model of CNC Machine: Weeke BHC-350 / MulitCam SF48

Customizing import settings and post

Post by Brent C »

I import a lot of geometry from other CAD software packages (primarily AutoCad and Rhino). Often one project will require a large quantity of individual DXF files. I export those files from the source software and then import them into Aspire. I could move each of them to the 0,0 origin in the parent software before exporting them, but that would be time consuming and result in all the part drawings being "piled" on top of each other at the origin (or moving them, exporting them, and moving them back). AutoCad allows "export with origin", so that one's easy. Rhino also allows "export with origin" but only for a 3DM file not DXF. When exporting a DXF, the world 0,0 is default.

So the other option would be to export the part where it sits and then when importing into Aspire, I can unselect "use origin offset" and then select "center data in job". That's easy enough one piece at a time, but it gets monotonous time and time again. Also, 90% of the time, my work is done using 3/4" thick material, but when importing, 1" thick is the default.

So the first question is: Can the import defaults be changed to 3/4" thick material, unselect "use origin offset", and select "center data in job"?

Secondly:

This one is probably easy, I just haven't explored doing it yet.

After running a part on the machine, the last instruction is for the machine to return to home. In my case (and I assume most cases), that is part home, not absolute machine home. The way I run my machine, that puts the head right in the way of clearing the finished part and resetting the next part.

Can I modify the post to instruct the machine to move to an absolute "park" position rather than relative part home when the cycle is complete?

Thanks for any help

Brent

Brent C
Model of CNC Machine: Weeke BHC-350 / MulitCam SF48

Re: Customizing import settings and post

Post by Brent C »

I referred to having the machine move to an absolute "park" position when finished, but actually, moving to the end of the work piece length (X in Aspire) or the end of the work piece plus "x" inches would be nice.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Customizing import settings and post

Post by Adrian »

Depends on the control language of your machine I think. I modified my ShopBot post processor to always park at the same location regardless of home or finish position.