Mach3 without ATC - how change tools?

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Mach3 without ATC - how change tools?

Post by zeeway »

Currently when doing a VCP design that should use (say) three kinds of tools, I will break up the design into the three pieces, so I can generate tool path sets that use one tool per tool path set (hope this makes sense). I run the first one, then change the tool and run the second one, etc. It is like running three separate parts.

Is there a way to "fool" VCP and select the post-processor of MACH ATC, so that VCP thinks I have a tool changer...and when it gets to the tool path set needing the second tool, the run will stop, and wait for me to change the tool and rezero it, and I can hit "continue"..or something like that?

I am guessing there is also a setting in Mach3 that has to change - somewhere I have seen "wait for tool change".

Any help is very much appreciated.

Angie

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Re: Mach3 without ATC - how change tools?

Post by kilrabit »

Just use the ATC Post Processor, go to the Config, and change the setting for wait for tool change. Remember when you start any gcode you will have to hit start twice, it will wait for a tool change there also.

Roy
Attachments
Capture.JPG

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

Thank you, Roy. I appreciate the clear explanation - the start bit would have stymied me for sure.

Angie

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Angie,

I'm not sure if you know this but you will also need to save all tool paths at once to create the tool change commands.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

Understood. Thanks, Jim.

Angie