Axiom post Processor MM vs Inch

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro 6+

Axiom post Processor MM vs Inch

Post by tjimholte »

I am somewhat confused on the Axiom post processor. There is only one and it uses MM instead of inches. Is there a way to change that?

It appears that when I set a feed rate of 100 inches / min in my tool data base the machine runs at around 4 inches / minute which makes sense if you do the math 100 / 25.4 = 3.93.

Do I need to only use MM when defining feed rates?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

TJ

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Axiom post Processor MM vs Inch

Post by IslaWW »

TJ...
You are conflating units. 100 IPM =~ 2500mm/min = 1.666 in/sec = 42mm/sec.

There is a feature in your controller that may use a preset internal feed instead of the programmed feed, make sure that is enabled.

You can test by making a 20" line, set to 100IPM and aircut on the machine. It should take 1/5 minute or ~12 seconds with a little cush for ramping up and down
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Everything in the Vectric software can be defined in inches (Imperial) or Metric. The software will convert, as needed, to what your post processor requires. I work 99% of the time in Imperial, but my tools are defined in both Imperial and metric. If I have a 3mm bit, I define it as 3mm. I always define my feed rates as Imperial (in/min), because that's what I've tested.

The bottom line is that you only have to talk metric to your Axiom when you enter numbers into your handheld. It only knows metric; Distances, puck thickness, are all in metric.

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro 6+

Post by tjimholte »

Thanks Gary and GKAS,

I like the idea of just running an aircut 20 inch line to validate it is using the right speeds vs some default.

Do you know how to see if this processor is using some preset default other than what I tell it in the tool data base?

Thanks again.

TJ

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

tjimholte wrote:Thanks Gary and GKAS,
Do you know how to see if this processor is using some preset default other than what I tell it in the tool data base?
It gets the ipm, etc. from the tool database. It gets the RPM from the front panel of the Axiom; i.e. it's set manually.