How do you adjust feed rate on the rotary?

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
spjuenger

Re: How do you adjust feed rate on the rotary?

Post by spjuenger »

moto633 wrote:Is there a way in Aspire to control the feed rate of the rotary axis "A" in my case. If i just set the feed rate for the tool to say 200ipm the rotary moves very slow. I know it is working in deg per min so how do I seperate that from general XY feed rates?

Thanks,
Nick

Did you ever find a solution to this for WinCNC? I'm tired of hand editing feedrates after I generate the G-Code.

marju

Post by marju »

Greolt wrote:Aspire can not separate out A axis feedrates. The majority of moves will be blended anyway.

Two or more axis will move simultaneously to move the tool from one position to the next.
It is the job of the controller to blend the velocities of each axis during that move to have the tool move at the specified velocity.

The difficulty, as you have found, is that one axis is using a different base unit. Degrees rather than inches.

Controllers often have a way of compensating for this. Mach3 has a system to compensate the rotary axis feedrate.

ShopBot uses a feedrate scaling factor, which is addressed in the Post Processor.

What controller do you use?

Greg
Hi
I'm using Mach3 V3.042.040 and it doesn't move more than 1 axis at the time, first it makes a 360 degree revolution then stop and make a step over to whatever is the tool is set for and then comes back to 0.
I was expecting that the A axis to keep on turning while the X axis kept on moving to the end of the part.
I have the indexer by Rich and this the way it moves.
Maybe I'm missing something in my settings
Would appreciate any help on this one.
Thank you

olf20
Vectric Wizard

Post by olf20 »

If I remember correctly I think you have to set "rotation radius" A (rotary) axis
to some value (.0001) on the settings page. I'm trying to find the post where
this was discussed. I just checked mine, Version R3.042.036 and all axis move
together.
Give this a try and post back.
olf20 / Bob
Heat with corn, Mach3, Bridgeport clone, VcarvePo, Photo VCarve, Craftsman Wood Lathe, Arduino Toys

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

Aspire is not a true 4 axis program, as far as computing a full rotational tool path, more than 360 degrees of rotation. Rotary machining is not really a true 4th axis, it is just changing the direction of X,Y, or Z. Wrapping a rotary axis, is basicly swapping either X or Y axis and making the rotation the length of cut. Which only lets it work within 360 degrees, or the distance traveled back and forth the same as your X or Y axis would travel if the design were flat, when you unwrap it you will see the toolpath it follows. This is a much less expensive solution than the extra thousands of dollars needed for MasterCam and other 5 axis programs. Wrapping does many things on the rotary once you get used to it, but not as fast as one of the full 5 axis programs But spend an extra 15 thousand, and you can speed up, depends on your definition of value.

Roy

marju

Post by marju »

Hi
If I remember correctly I think you have to set "rotation radius" A (rotary) axis
to some value (.0001) on the settings page: this is already been mention in post #9 if I'm counting well in this same tread By Greolt

For the expensive software that Kilrabit is talking about (Thousands of dollars) you don't need to pay that much, like I mention in my earlier post Indexer By Rich is only 100.00 and it make more that a single rotation, it's keep on turning for the full length of the part that one will have to turn, Greolt also mention in another tread that two or more axis where moving simultaneously and in my case they are moving one at the time.
In a flat plane, unless you are making a straight line you would have more than one axis moving at a given time

Thank you for your help