Any opinions would be appreciated. Absolute newbie

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
xranch

Any opinions would be appreciated. Absolute newbie

Post by xranch »

Hi Everyone and thank you for your opinion. I appreciate it. I am new to the world of cnc. I am a disabled man and have built my own machine around a high speed engraver. If that does not work I can change it to a high speed router. I have almost everything I think I need, stepper motors, xp computer, power supply etc. The machine is nearly finished. The machine is designed to engrave round stock - ie canes and walking sticks, bowls, etc.
My question to you, if you would be so kind as to respond to this, is, I have not yet decided what software to use. Vectric software looks very interesting. I would like to have the ability to engrave about 1/4 deep into wood ( round stock ) and then be able to fill it with inlace. basic inlay stuff. These projects will be canes for veterans. The other type of project I would like to do is to be able to carve wood spirits on square stock ( in 3d ) eventually have it becoming a walking stick or a carved cane. I will be hard to picture this I'm sure.
basically I would like to be able to carve 3d in square wood stock and eventually have it become round stock and to be able to engrave recessed pockets to fill with inlay material. I am looking for design and machining software. All opinions are appreciated. Thank you. Eventually I would like to build a standard flat table cnc and use both. I would the software to work for both kinds of table.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Any opinions would be appreciated. Absolute newbie

Post by Rcnewcomb »

VCarve would work well for engraving for inlay. For 3D work you can use the free 3D Machinist program from VectorArt3D.com which integrates very well with VCarve. The limitation is that you can only use designs from VectroArt3D or James Booth, but given the volume and quality of their designs this isn't too much of a limitation.

If you want to create your own 3D designs from stratch then Aspire would be the best fit. Aspire allows you to use additional 3D desgins from other sources as well.

Both VCarve and Aspire will work for flat and rotary work.

Will you be using Mach 3 as your control software?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello,
Welcome to the Vectric forums! I think the best fit for the work you are looking to eventually be able to do will be the Vectric Aspire program as it will allow you to work with 3D models and toolpaths. There is a wrapping gadget in both VcarvePro and Aspire but I believe the wrapping gadget in VcarvePro will not use a 3D model. You may be able to do some wrapped fluting, wrapped text, barley twists etc. with VcarvePro but will lack the 3D functionality that Aspire will bring to you. I would suggest you download and run the trial versions to see which one will do what you want and get a feel for the differences. Which ever Vectric program you may choose I don't think you can go wrong, as it may be hard to find a company that values and supports their customers as well as Vectric and has a forum of experienced members that are very willing to help each other out. Also the Vectric staff has been doing user meetings throughout the states which enable users nearby to get some first hand training and experience from other users that would otherwise be hard to come by.
I admire your motivation to make your own machine and produce the items you have in mind and will surely like to follow your progress and see the finished machine and the things you are able to make.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

xranch

Post by xranch »

thanks Randall and Wes,
to Randall, I probably will use MACH3. I have read many good things about it. for Wes, althoug I am not a veteran myself my father is (Korea) and my wife is a first gulf war vet. Those folks made it possible for us to enjoy the freedoms we have. I wold like to be able to give back a little for everything they have done. I will be happy to post pictures of my projects when they get done.

glenn
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home brew 40x20

Post by glenn »

Hi xranch,
I can vouch for vcarve pro 5.5 and mach3-They work together flawlessly! Here is a link that has a few examples of what can be done with vcarve and mach. http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&start=45
The vectric products are very user friendly and work great- I will eventually get Aspire when I pay for a few other needed things. (or I would already own it!)
The mach3 has a sharper learning curve but is awesome when you start to understand how and why it does what it does. The only cam I've ever used- but it is great.
The mach forum is full of great helpers if you get stuck. Same with vectric though you already know this!
Keep us informed of your decisions :D
Glenn

Vcarve
Mach3
homebrew cnc router

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Another person on the forum, Hurricane, makes pool cues with inlay work. He may have some insight as well. His web site is: http://hurricanecues.com/
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

xranch

Post by xranch »

The Aspire software looks like just what I would like, except the price. I dont think I could afford to buy it and donate what I make to veterans. Too bad for me. The wrap feature and 3d ability looks just great, but as usual, my taste is much greater than my budget. They look like they have done a wonderful job on the software. If I was selling my work I might be able to justify it. But because my work is donated and actually costs me to produce it, I just cant justify the cost. Too bad, it looked to good to be true. I even am built my own machine. Being disabled myself and not able to work or to drive it is just way beyond my financial reach. Thanks for your opinions and best of luck to you. You folks produce some awesome stuff. I hope someday I will be as good as you.

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Xranch,
Vcarve 5.5 has wrapping and if you get things going sometimes this stuff pays for it's self if you can market your products a little. Is what I'm saying is you might be able to make signs or what not to suppliment your charity work....
Just a thought!

Nick

xranch

Post by xranch »

Sounds interesting. I never thought of marketing my work. There might be a market for custom inlaid canes and walking/hiking staffs. Never know if it becomes lucrative enough, I might be able to justify the Aspire software. The Vcarve is pricey but I might be able to squeeze it in. Looks great, I am really looking forward to finishing this project and being able to produce the things I see in my imagination. I just hope it turns out half as well as what can imagine,

rgoldner

Post by rgoldner »

I agree with all of the good stuff about Aspire and VCarve. You might want to take a look at a program I wrote called the Indexer Wizards. It is only $100 and was designed specifically for rotary work such as canes. A free 7 day fully functional demo is available for downloading from my website.
Rich Goldner

Indexer Wizards
http://wizardsbyrich.yolasite.com/

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello xranch

greeting on vectric forum... (i could say this time the best cnc woodcarving forum)

if i understand right your post you are not in bussiness rather as hobby you like to make walking sticks...
to making a few couple of projects, i believe you can start out with cut2d what is only 150 and has great capabilty...
the wrapping you can solve with all vectric program... even free machinist can do from vectorart3d site...
later when you upgrade, vectric will count on you have already cut2d... after first projects, i'm sure you get source for vcarve, or even for aspire..

however for try here's a link... you can use... to turning 2d layout to angle movement, or you can call wrapping...

http://www.gravomaster.com/Tristan_Dean/scan2cnc.html

also on this site you find more useful info for engraving...

i am not veteran, however i started with very low financial sources... so if you need further help to making your walking sticks, you can drop pm me..

viktor

xranch

Post by xranch »

Thank you Rich and Viktor,

Rich your program looks very interesting. I am going download the trial and check it out. You are correct about wanting to do canes for vets. Sounds like I am on the right track. It is going to take a while but I am not doing this to make money. I am just enjoying the challenge of building a machine and doing something useful for the folks that made it possible to do this in the first place. Viktor thanks for the offer, if and when I need help, (and I will) I will give you a shout. Thank you very much. By the way the machine is progressing nicely. It will hopefully be finished in a month or so or as I can afford it.