Can't control plunge

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Can't control plunge

Post by garylmast »

I just finished the sample run on a wooden goblet. The deepest point to the stem is 2-1/2". My problem is, the bit will plunge to the full depth on the first pass. I have set the plunge rate to 30, to 50, to 20, but it doesn't matter. I had to slow the speed down to a crawl to keep it from breaking. Any ideas?
Attachments
goblet.jpg

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: Can't control plunge

Post by gravirozo »

hi

i think you can make a pocketmachining on the start and after that, from this pocket you can start with small steps.. that won't break your bit..
a pocket, wider by 10-30 percent like the ball endmill, and making stepdowns as much you think it can take...
if you wrap model, then use the z level pocketing, if you wrap vector, then you need calculate the passes, or use a pocketnig method... which one by stepovers will gives the depth per passes

well... i can't say you how you can implement this in the gadget... also i turn wood by hand...

viktor

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Thanks Viktor for getting back to me so quickly. By your suggestion, I did a pocket profile, using a depth of 0.5". When I ran a test run in Mach 3, it still plunged to amost 2.5" on the first pass. I've done a few shallower projects that the depth was only .25" or so and didn't realize this problem until now.

Gary

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Gary,

Could you post up a copy of your file so that we could take
a look at the settings that you have used for your roughing toolpath.

Cheers,

Mark.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Hi Mark,

Apparently it's to big to post, so I emailed it to you to support (at) vectric(dot) com. Hope that the right place. Thanks.

Gary

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Mark,

I was trying to speed-up the process by doing the finish pass only. After I thought about your reply, I added a roughing profile and that solved the problem. The roughing profile provides the step down in depth. I'll go and re-do my project now and hopefully stop breaking my bits. Thanks

Gary