Aspire 2.5 indexer pp file?

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
G.Werner

Aspire 2.5 indexer pp file?

Post by G.Werner »

Hello All

Day Three of setup and use on my SB indexer on my Buddy 48.

I'm looking for help finding the correct post processor for an indexer mounted on the x-axis.

I have Aspire 2.5, set up and finally machined a cylinder using the gadgets. Zeroed to the center.
It cut fine with the indexer pp I got from Shopbot's tech support guys. But I'm not sure I have the right file, think it has an error in it somehow.

I have been attempting to spiral wrap and v-carve a 1/2 in. tall long line of text around my successfully machined cylinder 15 times.

The cylinder is 2" diameter and 12" long. I re-zeroed my z with the drop offset for the center with a v-carving bit from the top of my tailstock.

I attempted to follow all the tutorials Randall set up. (Thanks man) but I think I must be missing something. Maybe have the wrong post processor? I dunno. I guessed I would use the same one that I turned the cylinder, correct?

I saw a file posted to help someone else out on the forum, is this the most current version used by Shopbot indexer users?

http://www.vectric.com/forum/download/file.php?id=14401

For some reason after I save the toolpath in Aspire, the file I saved causes a jog up to the top of the limit of my Z axis and I hit a stop switch, then I get a message that my b axis is beyond limits. Weird.

Any ideas what causes this all to happen?

I'm stuck on this one.

Thanks

Greg W.

G.Werner

Re: Aspire 2.5 indexer pp file?

Post by G.Werner »

Just a matter of time, and persistence, and once again, I have found answers to my own questions.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Greg, for the sake of the people going through the learning curve (me being one of them) could you post how you solved the problem?

Thanks,

Phil

G.Werner

Post by G.Werner »

The information Randall posted was all correct, so was the pp. Thanks again for talking the time Randall.

Phil - I forgot I had just adjusted settings in the SB control software, not in Aspire or the pp.

It had more to do with my initial setup of the machine, than the software. Plus the excitement wasn't worn off yet...

With the taller Z and the indexer newly installed, I was concerned about crashing the bit with minimal z height clearance from my original settings, so I had added a "fudge factor" I forgot to remind myself about in the SB software, that I later discovered. (Hence my answer) In this case it is custom bot specific, but since you asked...I didn't want to be rude and not answer.

I was just being overly cautious, and overlooked (and learned) about how changing four mechanical aspects at once and considering their new different purposes can sometimes be difficult to wrap your head around simultaneously. This is what I did, and why I posted the question originally.

I moved my Z back down (plate was flipped for z clearance), moved the gantry up an additional 6" (longer legs and side extrusions), and effectively moved my machining area up as well with new vacuum "stilts", while trying to keep in mind that my powerstick indexer was moved down relative to the Z.

Needless to say, I confused myself thoroughly, and then found out it was something as simple as setting a rapid clearance height I forgot about changing.

Hope that answers the question Phil. :)

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Thanks Greg,

every little bit helps. If it weren't for the good people posting on this forum a lot of people including me would be struggling with a lot of little things that are fairly easy to deal with. It just takes a little help.

Phil