Wrapping to a Taper

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
CarsonCustom
Vectric Apprentice

Wrapping to a Taper

Post by CarsonCustom »

Hi Guys,
This wrapper looks to be really cool !
I have not been able to purchase VCP yet so I dont have access to this software in the trial version.
Can this be used to wrap around a tapered cylinder ?
I can make the (text for example) into a tapered box but can the wrapper wrap it to a tapered cylinder or would I need to set-up a pre-turned taper with the top surface level ?
Like the chuck end 4" diameter, and the tailstock end 2" diameter with the tailstock center raised 1" which would make the machining surface level.

Thanks fo any help. :|

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: Wrapping to a Taper

Post by gravirozo »

if you make a tapered box (probably you mean bounding box) then the shorther end of the box will laying on "less angle" like the longer end of box...
with an example, your box 100 mm on x axis. 360mm and 300mm on y axis, then the 300 mm end will lay on 300 deg, if, the 360 mm end wrapped for full circle...

your idea set rotary axis on an angle is works... if you have rotary axis then you can make it...
before vectric decided to expand their program for fourth axis, greg, and me ran two topic about wrapping.. with vectric options the wrapping simpler, so there's no longer reason for "manual" wrapping...

on a post i made example with the free machinist... so you can try... that way works with any vectric program... also jwmachineco made wrapping with photovcarve

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6493

thanks
viktor

CarsonCustom
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Wrapping to a Taper

Post by CarsonCustom »

Very interesting topic Viktor...thanks for the link.
More than 1 way to skin a cat.
You must skin cats for a living !
I hope to buy the new VCP soon, then will ask more questions.
Regards,
CC 8)