Rotary axis

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
Kubotaman
Vectric Apprentice

Rotary axis

Post by Kubotaman »

Since Aspire 2.5 came out I have been trying to learn how to wrap a design around a round object. Where can I view the best information on how to do what I want? I just ordered the CD being offered that covers the meetings and what they talked about. I was hoping that would show me more info. Thanks!

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Re: Rotary axis

Post by cabnet636 »

there is a video here in the first post on whats new it is 30 minutes but at ablut 1/2 the way through tony begins to explain the rotary

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7156

jim
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

marting

Post by marting »

Hi to all,
I've purchased Aspire from the beginning of it's launch and have been updating ever since, but have not been using it quite often as my main line of work is mould design and so don't get much time to play around with aspire (although I continually look forward to some free time do realize some of the projects I have on hold). Said that brings me to my main question, with the rotating axis in Aspire V2.5, I have tried to import an obj file with the hope maybe I can carve out such as the file attached. I know that this is not the ideal geometry to carve on a rotating axis but just to convey my idea. As can be seen the geometry goes in both directions of the z axis (-ve and +ve directions). I presume that there are other guys out there who’d love to know if it would be possible to import a 3D model and be able to carve it out on a rotary axis, hence will this be possible to be included as a gadget in the future?
Thanks
Marting
Attachments
angel copy.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Marting,
The model must first be unwrapped before it can be processed by Aspire for rotary machining. I believe there are some programs available to do that but I have not worked with them (yet).
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jseiler »

Your also going to have issues with bit length and undercuts on this particular model. The area behind the arms would be unable to be cut. You'd have to touch those up by hand. As aspire 2.5 is right now, it will not "flatten" a model of this sort. Breaking the model at the elbow, doing the hands separately, and then cutting each half of the body separately in cut3d would probably be the most direct way.

John