Wrapping Question

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
RichardV48
Vectric Apprentice

Wrapping Question

Post by RichardV48 »

I have been playing with the wrapping function and was able to wrap a 3d model to the surface and create a spiral wrap using the profile tool. Is there a way to spiral wrap a 3d model or create a rope effect?

Thanks,
Richard

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Re: Wrapping Question

Post by Turtle49 »

Yes, check out this thread:
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7172

Hope this helps,
Tim
:)
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

I've been working on the wrapping section of the upgrade with some bit of strugle.
One of the questions I have is that it appears, at least on my computer, that I can not preview the toolpath. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?
I can get to the point of having the toolpaths shown but not "seeing" the finished product.
Thanks,
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

micheal, i think one of the largest reasons vectric was reluctant to release the rotary was the fact that the 3d finished view would not be available "yet" i was all for going ahead as i could understand the 3d would be seen in the flat and the rotary in the tool paths, i am glad they have given us this so far

you are right we cannot see the 3d finish "yet"

i believe one of the more experienced is working on a video for us on this

jim mcgrew
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

thanks jim,
it clears up some stuff for me.
i agree, now is better than later.
michael
cabnet636 wrote:micheal, i think one of the largest reasons vectric was reluctant to release the rotary was the fact that the 3d finished view would not be available "yet" i was all for going ahead as i could understand the 3d would be seen in the flat and the rotary in the tool paths, i am glad they have given us this so far

you are right we cannot see the 3d finish "yet"

i believe one of the more experienced is working on a video for us on this

jim mcgrew
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

Michael

The only VISUAL representation we have of a wrapped toolpath is the toolpath itself. The blue lines that represent the tool movement.

We do not have a "Toolpath Preview" where we see the finished cut piece represented like we do in a standard XYZ toolpath.

One thing I have found useful is to make a phantom finish toolpath with a small tool and small stepover and
this will give an almost solid blue view of the cut job. See pic for example.

Also worth noting is that we can see a wireframe representation of the stock. See in the pic. Straw colour.

Greg
Attachments
VaseTooolpath.jpg

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

Thanks Greg,
Part of my problem is. well there are several things, but with this, I got spoiled very quickly with the program.
Another problem is that with a very small stepover I get a solid blue toolpart and the 3D shape can't be seen. When I increased the stepover the image became more visible.
My questions are just that, questions and by no means complaints, not that anyone has said they are. I just want to say how good this program is and how quickly it has helped me.
Michael

Greolt wrote:Michael

The only VISUAL representation we have of a wrapped toolpath is the toolpath itself. The blue lines that represent the tool movement.

We do not have a "Toolpath Preview" where we see the finished cut piece represented like we do in a standard XYZ toolpath.

One thing I have found useful is to make a phantom finish toolpath with a small tool and small stepover and
this will give an almost solid blue view of the cut job. See pic for example.

Also worth noting is that we can see a wireframe representation of the stock. See in the pic. Straw colour.

Greg
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

Yes you are right Michael.

Sometimes less stepover makes it easier to see. Depends on the job.

One thing that becomes very obvious is that when posting 2D pics of 3D toolpaths, it makes it difficult to see perspective.

Often the only way to SEE the 3D toolpath, is to twiddle it in 3D view, to get an idea of what you are looking at.

Greg

RichardV48
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RichardV48 »

Tim,
I had seen the post before and it covers wrapping a 3d model all the way around the cylinder so it joins using the Simple Cylindrical Wrap option, and was able to do that. What I am trying to do is create a 3D 1 inch wide band and spiral it the length of the cylinder. So far the only way I can create a spiral is to select the vectors created when you choose how many starts you want, and create a profile tool path with them. I have to belive it will do what I am trying, just havnt hit on the right combination yet.
Thanks for the feedback.

Richard

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

Sorry Richard I mis-understood. Check out this post:
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7191

Wrapping 3D is the same basic concept as the Vcarved snake.

Tim
:)
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

ther are a couple of ways,

one is to use the Simple Cylindrical Wrap area -- this at an angle will give one "wrap"

two use the spiral gadget to wrap multiple times

jim
Attachments
IMG_5173.JPG
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

Richard

Here is an example of one way to lay out a 3D shape for wrapping multiple times around a job.

This method makes use of the "Wrapped Job Setup" gadget. See first pic.

I then made a (very boring) 3D shape and positioned it within the spiral wrap layout. See 2nd pic.

Third pic shows the toolpath view. Toolpath has been constrained to the spiral wrap layout so that it does not recut previously cut areas.

This method works for some very plain 3D models. When the 3D model gets more complex then the layout method needs be more creative.

Greg
WrappedBoringShape3.jpg
WrappedBoringShape1.jpg
WrappedBoringShape2.jpg

RichardV48
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RichardV48 »

Thanks guys, this is what I was trying to do. I think the reason it didnt work for me was that I didnt place the model on the same angle as the vectors created when you set up the spiral layout. I assumed the program would adjust it. I guess this proves the comment I have seen posted before, it only does what you tell it to, not what you think it will. Thanks again for the help.

Richard

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

Greg,
When I tried to reproduce what you show I get the following See Spiral 1.
I realized that in your setup you had the cylinder axis set the the center or bottom for the Z origin.
I changed it the the top surface and I came up with this, see pic 2. More like what you show.
Did you change your setting somewhere along the way ?
Another note that I learned. The space between the two slanted lines, if doing a spiral wrap drawn by the program, is the entire area. If your design ( 3d or other ) fill the entire spaces between the two lines the wrapped result will not have any space between each turn or revolution.
See pic 3.
The more space you leave between the two slanted lines and the 3D model, or other shape, the more space you will have between each turn of the finished product.
Michael
Learning all the time

Greolt wrote:Richard

Here is an example of one way to lay out a 3D shape for wrapping multiple times around a job.

This method makes use of the "Wrapped Job Setup" gadget. See first pic.

I then made a (very boring) 3D shape and positioned it within the spiral wrap layout. See 2nd pic.

Third pic shows the toolpath view. Toolpath has been constrained to the spiral wrap layout so that it does not recut previously cut areas.

This method works for some very plain 3D models. When the 3D model gets more complex then the layout method needs be more creative.

Greg
The attachment WrappedBoringShape3.jpg is no longer available
The attachment WrappedBoringShape1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment WrappedBoringShape2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Z Origin set to bottom
Z Origin set to bottom
Z origin set to top
Z origin set to top
Pic 3
Pic 3
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

mezalick wrote:Greg,
When I tried to reproduce what you show I get the following See Spiral 1.
I realized that in your setup you had the cylinder axis set the the center or bottom for the Z origin.
I changed it the the top surface and I came up with this, see pic 2. More like what you show.
Did you change your setting somewhere along the way ?
Michael

I went through the steps as I outlined above and came up with the same result as your pic 1.

What I had done, but forgot to mention, was to slide the "Model Position in Material" up to the top. See pic

This leaves Z zero at the bottom of material (cylinder axis) but places the model at the surface.

Sorry about that omission.

Greg
Attachments
Material setup.jpg