cheap indexer

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
BSImages
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home designed and built.

Re: cheap indexer

Post by BSImages »

Jeff Johnson

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Thanks all. I found the tutorials I was looking for. They are Under the Aspire tutorials, it also cover's VCPro. I currently have Cut2D, I am going to upgrade to VCPro. I am running a demo version of that now and I cant find the Gadget button. I have contacted Vectric about this. I have looked under File>Open Application Date Folder...and its just not there. Maybe the demo version doesnt have it. Thanks for the HUMBLE STICK refrence. I read that a while back, and just went over it again last week, thanks for all the hard work for us dummies. I will get there.

marju

Post by marju »

Hi to all of you
Great info on this forum but I haven't found out watt I was looking for and here comes my question.
I have a stepper motor KL34H280-45-8A 640 oz In. 1.8° /200 Steps Per Rev.
NEMA 34 Framewith, Gecko driver G203V with a 10/1 ratio gearbox that is limited to 4000 RPM at the intake and I would like to know the fastest velocity I can put in Mach3 to avoid to override the max gearbox RPM.
Thank you

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

Your gecko driver will divide your steps by a factor of ten, therefore changing the steps per rev to 2000. if you have a 10:1 gearbox attached to that, then you get another factor of 10, thereby giving you a total of 20,000 steps per rev of the motor.

You now have to factor in the pitch of the leadscrew, ball screw, or what ever you are driving. if you are driving directly off the gearbox, then you have 20,000 steps per rev, but that has to connect to some type of drive on your cnc machine. In the Mach motor tuning window you then can set your maximum rapid speed. Mach will automatically limit you when doing this so you have to play with it. You dont want to run your stepper motors much faster than about 400 - 500 rpm for rapid speeds since you will start to lose quite a bit of torque, but then again that all depends on the system you have and how easy it is to move things.

I know this may not answer all of your question but maybe it will help.

Pete

RhoTu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RhoTu »

Are you using this as a rotary or linear axis?

marju

Post by marju »

Hi, sorry I didn't mention it because the title of the tread is (Cheap Indexer) so this is for a rotary and I this is the only reduction I have on this axis. I'm using ins/per minutes.
Thank you
Attachments
A AXIS.JPG

RhoTu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RhoTu »

I have a 60:1 geared box. Since this is used as a rotary you have to take steps, velocity and acceleration in degrees.
mine:
steps per degree=200x10x60/360=333.33333
Velocity=4500=12.5rpm
Acceleration=1000

Yours: 200x10x10/360=55.55555

Velocity and acceleration will be determined by how much torque your turning. Start low and build up until you lose steps. Then take 80% of that.

Hope this helps.