Newbie Questions - HHC, RPM, etc

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
longmontcomputer

Newbie Questions - HHC, RPM, etc

Post by longmontcomputer »

Hi folks,

I have a Laguna 46" CNC Rotary Turner. Have made several successful cylinder objects importing an Illustrator profile vector into Aspire 9, ranging from 11-12" long by 1.75-2.25" in diameter. Poplar, cherry woods have been used. Hope to use pear wood soon and some other woods.

Ideally, it would be nice to either start with a chunk of wood from a tree that is close to the final diameter, and then run 3 programs:
1. The Aspire 9 "Gadget" to create a cylinder
2. Aspire 9 roughing toolpath (using a 0.5" end-mill bit)
3. Aspire 9 finishing toolpath (using a 0.5" ball nose bit)

I have gotten the time shaved down using the 0.5" bit vs. the 0.25" bit (which the Vectric rotary wrapped job tutorial told me to use), and it is now about 22 min per program (rough and finish). I still haven't even attempted the cylinder gadget option from step 1 above...

anyway... I have a few questions about RPM, plunge depths, etc... here are a few pics. These are the "default" settings for the bits in Aspire. What should they be for optimal use? For hard woods vs soft woods? ETC... please advise. Newbie here...

Do the toolpaths that I export (using the "Laguna CNC Turner" post-processor option in Aspire, resulting in .NC files) include the RPM spindle speed? Please see the HHC controller pic.. when you "run" a program, you first see this screen with speeds of 3000... however, none of these settings can be changed via any buttons on the keypad...

to review:
Wrapped Jobs - Laguna CNC 46″ Turner with 3HP Spindle

New Tool Setup (Aspire)
"Feeds and Speeds" section...
what are the correct/optimal settings?
for various wood stocks: poplar, pear, cherry, etc...

Spindle speed seems too slow...
HHC has a screen during program "run" (need photo)
What do these settings mean?

During Roughing...
There is a little extra "cleanup" pass that simply shaves the edges... how to eliminate this step?

Material Setup (Aspire)
what are the correct/optimal settings?
"Model Position In Material" how much gap is optimal? 0.125"?
"Rapid Z Gaps" above material... ??

appreciate your help!!

Paul

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Newbie Questions - HHC, RPM, etc

Post by Rcnewcomb »

1. The Aspire 9 "Gadget" to create a cylinder
2. Aspire 9 roughing toolpath (using a 0.5" end-mill bit)
3. Aspire 9 finishing toolpath (using a 0.5" ball nose bit)
I still haven't even attempted the cylinder gadget option from step 1 above...
If you are roughing and finishing the whole piece then there is no need for the step 1.

Also, depending on the design, you may even be able to skip the roughing step as well. If your finishing tool is a 1/2" ballnose you can probably skip the roughing step.

Regarding machine specifics, the Laguna forum may have better information.

Regarding model position, it really depends on the model. Can you at least post a screen shot or photo of what you are making?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop