Dumb Question....

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
dciliberti
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

Dumb Question....

Post by dciliberti »

What is the difference in the following Post processers?
Wrap Y Orient X
Wrap Y Orient Y
Wrap Y Orient Xrf

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Dumb Question....

Post by IslaWW »

Those appear to be one mfgr's naming convention for rotary wrapped post processors. Each mfgr comes up with their own convention for axis names and what options are supported.

That said, in the normal convention, a wrapped post processor will take code from one horizontal axis and convert to degrees for rotary axis movement by wrapping it around the "other"

If the axial direction (between the headstock and tailstock) is X (left to right), then Y (front to back) code is converted to rotary (normal convention A) the postP nickname would usually be a variation of "Y to A" or "Y2A"

If the axial direction (between the headstock and tailstock) is Y (front to back), then X (left to right) code is converted to rotary (normal convention B) the postP nickname would usually be a variation of "X to B" or "X2B"

That said, very few mfgrs follow the convention, they simply name the rotary axes whatever they want, resulting in numerous combos of rotary wrapped post names. What's important for a user selecting one for his use, is that if your rotary is oriented in X or Y direction, you will select a post that has the other in the name. Perfectly clear???

Also.. in normal operation a rotary axis will move negative when converted from positive horizontal code. This is similar to a moving table CNC or mill. The table must move negative so that the bit is cutting positive.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

dciliberti

Post by dciliberti »

Thanks for the response. I have the headstock and tailstock on the Y axis (front to back) From what I gather from your explanation I would wrap X. The machine manual wants me to wrap Y? What does the Orient part of the equation stand for?

In Aspire the 3d view is correct when I wrap Y values around x axis.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

You should ask the mfgr of the machine. I gave my info as intentionally generic. Only the mfgr of the machine or the person that wrote the postP would know for sure
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

If the post-processor is correctly commented, you may find valuable information if you open it with a text editor.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

dciliberti

Post by dciliberti »

LittleGreyMan - Bingo! Opened with notepad and all info listed. Thank you!