Rotary Options

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Rotary Options

Post by IslaWW »

As Michael and I get into this rotary stuff before Jim's Aspire Camp, we have made a firm commitment to cut all the "stuff" we are going to preach. To this end, I have started out by showing the various blank roughing or rounding options that I am aware of.

The video below shows the short and sweet of each of these methods. Please note that my intent was to compare methods on the same blanks, with the same bits and at the same speeds to be fair to each. I used only 2 bits, with the majority done with a simple 1/2" 2 flute spiral up end mill.

Usually I construct a special purpose machine that has specs above what an OEM would have. Not so in this case, as affordable NEMA 23 motors and an inexpensive 5 amp drive system was used. If you watch carefully you will notice that I am pushing the cuts about as fast as they can go.

Also note that this is an attempt to quantify and compare speed, not quality. You should be aware that they are inversely proportional. This and some soon to come, will show as many ways to reduce rotary machining time where possible to allow time for the time consuming 3D portions of the cutting, if needed.

More to come in the following weeks before the Camp.

Enjoy:
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Re: Rotary Options

Post by bravesoul »

Gary,

This is great, I am am really looking forward to the Camp. After buying my Rotary Lathe from Brady, I have just played with a few items. Going to watch the video now but just thought I would post pics of what I created just playing around, of course the lids and and the inside were completed on a regular lathe.
Attachments
salt1-sm.jpg
salt2-sm.jpg
salt-cherry1-sm.jpg
salt-cherry2-sm.jpg

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Joe...
Don't forget to bring some of your rotary projects to Jim's
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Here is another option using Vectric products with a rotary axis. This rotary cutting option is one that has been in the works for a while. I am just getting to the finishing touches on the post processor trickery.

Like the previous post, assuming an import of a 3D model, this can be cut using VCarve Pro. It is a simple 2D profile "On Vector" with the toolpath applied to the 3D model.

Enjoy!

Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Well, here it is, the last of my videos based on lessons for the upcoming Aspire Camp at Jim McGrew's. After the Camp this lesson becomes part of the "Advanced Rotary" training.

Setup for this job is to develop a 2D profile. Since I want to test all of these methods with VCarve Pro, the 3D flat model was generated by Michael Mezalick and imported into VCPro.

The following cuts are generated 100% with Vectric Software. VCPro or Aspire. No hand coding or trickery to the posted file. One note: The continuous rotary profile with the 1" ballnose uses a special purpose custom post processor developed for my SideWinder machines.

Attached pics show some Aspire Screenshots of the rotary wrapped view and the screen layout that shows the model and EVERY vector used to generate the toolpaths. Note that the small beading bit cuts were not in the model.

Enjoy:
Attachments
Leg Screen 3.JPG
Leg Screen 2.JPG
Leg Screen 1.JPG
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: TS1325

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Hello IslaWW,

Thank you so much for the lessons getting my self ready to watch the Video clips.
Kindly tell me, our CNC has NC computer box, which PP should i use since the one i got from my machine supplier it does not work.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Kind regards
Jane

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Hello IslaWW,

Thank you so much for the lessons getting my self ready to watch the Video clips.
Kindly tell me, our CNC has NC computer box, which PP should i use since the one i got from my machine supplier it does not work.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Kind regards
Jane

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Jane...
I am sorry, but I am not familiar with that control. I can not help you. Have you tried the manufacturer?
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Mach2_3_Wrap_X2A_ATC_mm.pp
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
Roctech_ATC_mm.pp
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
Hello IslaWW,

Thanks for the response, i have watched the video clips and am willing to see if my rotary will work. Kindly tell me more about the bits used so as to see if i can get similar.
Also see attached P/processor and advise. The Roctech P/processor is what i use with any other file Aspire or Vector Art 3D software.
kindly let me know if i can use the Mach 2_3_ Wrap.

Kind regards
Jane.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Jane...
If you remember, we exchanged emails regarding this exact subject last December. At that time you were not able to verify operation of your rotary axis from the keyboard. Nor did you have any information regarding how the rotary axis was controlled, i.e., was it a separate named axis or a slave of another flat axis. You may have "swap wires", as all the provided postP's are "X to-X"

At that time I recommended that you acquire documentation from the manufacturer that explains how your rotary axis operates. Both from an operational standpoint for operation and from an "connections and settings" standpoint. Without that information, I am not able to assist you.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Hi IslaWW,

Yes i do remember about the emails and as i mentioned to you our CNC machine manufacturer from China never gave us any documentation.
we have tried requesting for this info but in vain.
What i know is that when we want to use the rotary we have a selector switch that changes the X liner to the rotary Axis.
About the Standpoints both Operational, Connections and settings am not sure if we understand what they are, We will send you some screen shots of the rotary tomorrow then maybe this could help.

kind regards
Jane

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jane Ndungu »

P5120670.JPG
P5120669.JPG
P5120665.JPG
Change over Switch.JPG
Hello IslaWW,
Kindly see attached pictures of our CNC machine and the Rotary connections, Am hoping and praying that this will be helpful since my Machine manufacturer has no documentation for me about the rotary. :( .
Thank you for the great assistance.

Kind regards
Jane

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Jane Ndungu wrote:
P5120670.JPG
P5120669.JPG
P5120665.JPG
Change over Switch.JPG
Hello IslaWW,
Kindly see attached pictures of our CNC machine and the Rotary connections, Am hoping and praying that this will be helpful since my Machine manufacturer has no documentation for me about the rotary. :( .
Thank you for the great assistance.

Kind regards
Jane
The Picture with switches marked R and P are in the control box and the R marked button is what we use to change from linear X to Rotary.
The other pictures are the CNC machine, the Rotary connection Pin and the Rotary Head.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Guys...
Here is the last rotary based video for Jim's Camp.

Done in VCPro, no rotary wrapped job required. The quickest way I have found to develop a rotary 3D profile. Pay no attention to the ugly shape, this is a "proof of concept"

Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com