5th Axis

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

5th Axis

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Wowie
I just watched a couple of videos about 5th axis.
I was blown out of my mind, fortunately I got back in again :lol:
Not too long ago we were amazed about the 3 axis CNC machine and the amazing things it could do.
Now we have the 5th axis machine. It can make true 3 dimensional things.
http://www.5-axis.org/index.php/5-axis- ... hine-blog/
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: 5th Axis

Post by TReischl »

They have been around a long, long time.

The problem is the price of software to program them and the learning curve that goes with it. Makes doing 3d work look like childs play.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Yep - machining industry a very long time.

Giddings and Lewis had a machine in the machine trade show that looked like a spider.

Now there are robots with fully articulated arms with a spindle mounted instead of a hand.
Full mobility.

I worked in medical manufacturing where they were making knee and hip replacements - using 5-th axis to make a knee joint. They have been doing that since who knows when.

That link you showed is really easy 5-th axis. I have hand programmed that stuff before.

Computer vision and some air plane or helicopter company - I think Sikorsky - developed complex 5-th axis airfoil machining back in the early 60's.

It is pretty commonplace in the machining manufacturing industry.

It is complex geometry. I use Solidworks and can create the models - BUT - I cannot machine it in my home hobby shop. That is not what Vectric does.

Even the stuff we see on rotary axis is not really a 4-th axis work. It is 2-3 axis work, where the rotary axis is swapped out for the rotary axis.

I would LOVE - to see Vectric do some REAL 4-th axis. As a matter of fact - I am currently in the market for some affordable 4-th axis software.

As much as I HATE to do so - I may need to switch away from Vectric and go to someone that can support real 4-th axis with.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

My brother is a physics professor and just bought an old articulated arm with a spindle for his lab. I think he said is has 6 axis. No software, so they are hand coding everything using complex matrices. Problem is that his grad students don't stay around long enough to learn the machine and actually use it for long enough to get anything done with it!!
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

rscrawford wrote:My brother is a physics professor and just bought an old articulated arm with a spindle for his lab. I think he said is has 6 axis. No software, so they are hand coding everything using complex matrices. Problem is that his grad students don't stay around long enough to learn the machine and actually use it for long enough to get anything done with it!!

There are a bunch of really cool vids on youtube of this stuff. Better than watchin TV.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

Speaking of really cool videos, how about a 5 (6?) axis machine that first uses laser deposition to 3D print the product, and machines it to the final shape!

Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

I wouldn't mind something like this but, unfortunately, my bank balance said "NO WAY"
6th axis.GIF
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

My renter just bought the same machine from Haas, but only a 3 axis for just under $100k. Fascinating machine- has same tool magazine and changer- tool change is so fast it
is startling. I wonder if the new F1 Haas team can get their tire changes down to .5 seconds? Gene