V Carve on a taper

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
Kubotaman
Vectric Apprentice

V Carve on a taper

Post by Kubotaman »

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make a taper on the indexer and then V-Carve some lettering? I realize you can taper on the ShopBot program but am confused as how one would V Carve on a taper. I run Aspire. The only way I can think I can do it is to raise or lower the tail stock which really is not a good alternative. Thanks!

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Re: V Carve on a taper

Post by fretsman68 »

Hi, I do not have aspire, but I believe there's a way to "project" the VCarve onto the 3D surface? Possibly this may be better asked in the Aspire part of the forum?

Dave
--------------
Dave

jam1962
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Self built 36x25x7

Post by jam1962 »

If memory serves, you can do it with the Fluting tool.
Jay Morris...

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Dave is correct! When you set up the Vcarve tool path be sure to check the box (lower left side) for projecting the path to follow the 3D surface. That's all you need to do!
recoiltype.jpg
This is one of the first projects I tried when I got my machine...

dhouse
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster

Post by dhouse »

Are you using VCPro or aspire?

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Wow! This is going back a few years! I had Aspire. This was my first week with my new Stinger and I was trying everything I could think of to put it through its paces.
Again, I would like to remind everyone: Do not use treated wood on your machine unless you are wearing a respirator, eye protection and have incredible vacuum on your dust clearance system. And then ask yourself if you are willing to be sick just to save a few bucks. I used a couple of old treated 4x4s thinking it was just practice and I was saving money. I could have glued up walnut and saved in the long run! This crap messed me up for months - I had respiratory problems similar to walking pneumonia and pink-eye like symptoms with my vision! Not worth it! Trust me!!!

Mike