Finishing Toolpath cut short of 360 degrees

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
kaartman
Vectric Apprentice

Finishing Toolpath cut short of 360 degrees

Post by kaartman »

I am still not having success with the wrap toolpaths calculations, my headache is shown in the attach file, Simple polygon with 6 sides wrap along the Y.

With the Roughing toolpath the total circumference of the wrap job is machined, problem comes with the Finishing toolpath, toolpath preview shown narrower than the material. It makes no difference if I change the material size, unwrap vector size wider or narrower than the material, the gap remain and spoil my funn big time
Better viewed in file by selecting View tab- uncheck color shaded view- check draw material block
Then selecting Toolpath tab-toolpath drawing-(wrap Xvalue around Y axis)

I will appreciate it if someone can try this and post your results,
As always any help will be appreciated
K
Attachments
Wrapped Toolpath test.crv3d
(165.5 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Finishing Toolpath cut short of 360 degrees

Post by garylmast »

Set the Boundary Vector Offset to slightly more than half the tool width and that should eliminate the problem.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

kaartman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by kaartman »

Hi Gary
Thank you for the suggestion, The boundry offset was the first place i tried to make a correction, it did not eliminate the problem.

K

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

Hi K - You specified an end mill for the roughing and finish passes. Try using a ballnose end mill and your problem should go away.

Ed

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

If the outside lines of the two-rail sweep is shorter then the length of the material/circumstance of the material (i.e if the job setup is "L" is 16" and "D" is 8" the material size will be 16" W x 25.1327" H), then the sweep will not make the full 360 degrees. So make the outside lines 25.1327" and each end aliened at the top and bottom of both edges. I'm talking about the material size and not the size (circumstance) of the model. Gary

WoodChucksCNC
Model of CNC Machine: 5'X10' router, 4'x6' 130 watt laser

Post by WoodChucksCNC »

I suggest not to change material size after wrap job setup.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Just curious as to why you suggest not to change the material size. I do it all the time, adding up to 1/2 inch and it solves or prevents a number of problems for me, including:

1) when the toolpath doesn't cut 360 degrees because of the geometry of the tool and I want to overlap a little to make sure it does
2) when the toolpath falls off the edge of the part as a result of having the boundary vector right at the edge, especially if you're using an offset, and
3) sometimes if you're cutting so that the part turns under the tool, rather than rastering along the part, Aspire will generate a lift of the tool at the end of every turn. This adds a lot of time to the cutting. I use this strategy a lot because turning it rather than rastering along the length often reduces the cut time and, on my machine, results in a smoother finish.

The key thing to remember is that the diameter of the finished part is based on the part thickness, not the x,y dimensions.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost