Vector Unwrapper - Spiral Layout

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
kaartman
Vectric Apprentice

Vector Unwrapper - Spiral Layout

Post by kaartman »

Please help, for some or other reason can I not get this wrap business to work in my favor, playing again with the Vector Unwrapper followed by Spiral layout, attached is the .crv file and the images attached according to the preview,
What I am struggling to get rid of is the extra point that appear in the preview, clearly visible in the 60 spiral picture.
Thank you
K
Attachments
spiral Wrapped Output.crv3d
(36.5 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
vectric extra point60 deg spiral.jpg
vectric extra point 45 deg spiral.jpg

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Re: Vector Unwrapper - Spiral Layout

Post by spinningwood »

The aspire file you attached doesn't have any components in it so I'm not 100% sure what is happening to you, but I think you may have your sweep rails at different distances for the two sweeps required here (your left sweep rails are too close together). That could easily cause what you are seeing.

Attached is a stripped down version of your file. Notice that there are two components created from two different sets of rails. The left rail for the right sweep overlaps the right rail of the left sweep. Both sets of rails are the exact same distance apart.

The problem you are having doesn't show up in the file I attached.

If the above (and attached) doesn't clear it up and you still can't get it, I'll post a step by step that should help.

The way I organized the attached file and created the components is not an ideal way to do things, it will just hopefully make things clearer in identifying your problem. I also dropped the modelling resolution to standard to get a filesize small enough to attach here (with components included).

Ed
Attachments
ForK.crv3d
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 263 times

kaartman
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Vector Unwrapper - Spiral Layout

Post by kaartman »

Hallo Ed
Yes the attached file did not had any components, two reasons 1) keep the file size small and for the forum friends to try and ply. Thank you very much, you knock the nail on the head, the problem was that the left drive rail for the left component was not moved equal to the circumference distance.
Problems I experienced: why it did not work for me.......
Method below is Copied from the Tutorial

To create the second sweep we need another drive rail the same distance below the bottom drive rail. This distance is actually the circumference of the piece and is the height of the job if your rotary axis is aligned along X and the width of the job if your rotary axis is aligned along Y.
1) To create this line, first make a copy of the bottom drive rail, click on it and select Edit – Copy and then Edit – Paste (or Ctrl+C followed by Ctrl+V). DONE THIS
2) Then go to the ‘Job Setup’ form (Edit – Job Size and Position) , make a note of the Height or Width which corresponds to your circumference (you can just use Ctrl+C to copy the value form the edit field after selecting the text). DONE THIS ( this .CRV file we are playing with X=157.08)
3) Close the ‘Job Setup’ form and re-select the line we are going to move (we copied this above).
4) Open the ‘Move Selection’ form (‘M’ is the keyboard shortcut) . We are now going to move the vector a relative amount in the –Y direction (or – X if your rotary is aligned along Y). In the required field type in the circumference we got from the ‘Job Setup’ form – if you copied this you can just ‘paste it into the field with Ctrl+V. Remember to make the value negative. DONE THIS(-157.08)
5) After click the ADD in “Move selection “ this driverail only moves distance of -91.63 and not -157.08 ( Is there a explanation why)thus creating the pointy thing in the attached jpeg of my first post
On your suggestion I tried this and it worked...thank you
a) Drawn Poly line between the two “spiral - skew drive rails” – (snapped to both points)
b) Selected the polyline – node edit – select both nodes
c) Select left side spiral driverail – copy - paste
d) Moved the polyline in the negative direction – snap to left spiral driverail
e) Select the Copied spiral driverail – node edit- select both nodes
f) Move the spiral driverail negative direction – snap to end of polyline
g) Create second component - perfect polygon created

Next question How do I go about to ensure that polygon is completely closed?

After creating the polygon, there are openings in the preview at the “joint” visible when zoomed in, I have machined the polygon and a visible line was created along the length of the material, there was a opening the size big enough for the 3mm ball end cutter to fit into, a hole was “drilled” and the cutter snapped, This grove was only created with the 3mm bit for the finishing toolpath and not the roughing tool path (6mm ball end cutter)

Thank you
K