Wrap Spiral limits to material size

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
kaartman
Vectric Apprentice

Wrap Spiral limits to material size

Post by kaartman »

I am following the tutorial of Rotary 2,5D machining, I duplicate the tutorial steps from material setup to the end, the snag comes in when I try the spiral: The angle lines are the same length as the material the number of revolutions is almost 2.5 around the cylinder but when the tool path is generated the tool path preview only show the cut vectors the size of the material width, so each of the lines that represent the spiral only complete 1 revolution instead of 2,5,
Am I missing something?

Regards
K

BSImages
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home designed and built.

Re: Wrap Spiral limits to material size

Post by BSImages »

kaartman wrote:I am following the tutorial of Rotary 2,5D machining, I duplicate the tutorial steps from material setup to the end, the snag comes in when I try the spiral: The angle lines are the same length as the material the number of revolutions is almost 2.5 around the cylinder but when the tool path is generated the tool path preview only show the cut vectors the size of the material width, so each of the lines that represent the spiral only complete 1 revolution instead of 2,5,
Am I missing something?

Regards
K
Your work area is in the parallelogram (the two diagonal lines) not the traditional rectangle.
You will see it passing trough what looks like the work area.
It looks like a toilet paper-tube unrolled...
I hope this helps.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Another thing to try is to create projects with 1, 2, 4, and 8 spirals. This will give you a better visual of what is going on. Below is an example. Note that my indexer is along the Y axis. YMMV
Attachments
wrap.jpg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

BSImages
Vectric Wizard

Post by BSImages »

Rcnewcomb wrote:Another thing to try is to create projects with 1, 2, 4, and 8 spirals. This will give you a better visual of what is going on. Below is an example. Note that my indexer is along the Y axis. YMMV
Perfect Randall!

kaartman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by kaartman »

Bill and Randall, thank you very much for the reply, I do understand the limitations to material size:
After completion of wrap job setup as normal, then complete the Spiral layout: complete the needed parameters: then we see the material size with the vectors that is represented by the spiral layout. These vectors extend beyond material size to the top, if we calculate the tool-path to cut on the lines the wireframe tool-path show that the cut will be the complete length of the material like picture 2 ( Total number of revolutions for spiral = 2.4900387497939) but when a tool-path preview is generated we only see what is represented in picture 3,
This I don’t understand
Attachments
2.jpg
3.jpg
Spiral tutorial aspire CD.crv3d
(22 KiB) Downloaded 420 times

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

K - The vectors extend beyond the unwrapped base model. Aspire knows how to generate the correct toolpaths, but the preview isn't able to show them. It's just the way it is. Maybe future versions will be able to preview the full wrapped preview.

If you really need the full preview, you need to manually create your vectors using a different strategy than the spiral wrapper. Each "revolution" gets it's own set of vectors. For example, two revolutions = two sets of vectors. If you were going to actually cut this version and not just use it for the preview, you would also need to compensate for the tool profile where the vectors meet on the wrap.

It's not that hard, and for 3D carving rather than machining, it's the way you have to go.

Ed

kaartman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by kaartman »

Hallo Ed
I have used a different approach as explained by Greolt in one of his posts, Draw vector to the required angle and offset / copy in array, and from the modeling tab create a shape from the vectors, align and trim make sure the shapes align at the ‘joint’ learn every day, thank you for the help.
The attached picture was my first rotary carving
K
Attachments
1.JPG

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

Congratulations K. It's funny, my first rotary carving looked almost exactly like yours. Looking forward to seeing future projects from you.

Ed

m8298
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by m8298 »

Could someone post a link to Greolt's thread mentioned above? I am just trying to understand how you draw out patterns for wrapped rotary such that the pattern continues over the joint line.

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

This is a fairly old thread. It might be of some help.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7192

Greolt

BSImages
Vectric Wizard

Post by BSImages »

Greolt wrote:This is a fairly old thread. It might be of some help.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7192

Greolt
It may be fairly old but it a great example!