Wrapper Problem with V Carve Pro and Mach 3

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
Aussie Engraver
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam Router with Mach3 Upgrade

Wrapper Problem with V Carve Pro and Mach 3

Post by Aussie Engraver »

I now have a wrapper and am machining embossed and debossed cylinders successfully....BUT....
When I stop the machine the cutter goes to Zero on Z axis which is the centre of my cylinder - disasterous! When I jog my x or y axis away from the job so I can see it I can't do a "return to Zero" because my cutter buries itself into my cylinder - Z goes to zero!
Also X axis won't zero because I'm in wrapper mode with X wrapped around Y so X axis is not active.
Question - How can I stop my machine, jog it off my work and restart safely and accurately?

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Re: Wrapper Problem with V Carve Pro and Mach 3

Post by Greolt »

Aussie Engraver wrote: When I stop the machine the cutter goes to Zero on Z axis which is the centre of my cylinder - disasterous!
Do you mean that the Z axis goes to zero without any input from you?

I never use it ,so am not sure, but look at "safe Z" settings. Sounds like they are doing it.
When I jog my x or y axis away from the job so I can see it I can't do a "return to Zero" because my cutter buries itself into my cylinder - Z goes to zero!
Personally I dislike the return to zero button, and so I have individual axis to zero buttons. EG: A "X to zero" button and a "Z to zero" button.

I find this allows me more control. I don't need to think "if I send all axis to zero simultaneously, what is the tool going to hit?"

I do one axis at a time. Much easier for my old brain to cope with. :D
Also X axis won't zero because I'm in wrapper mode with X wrapped around Y so X axis is not active.
If you want the A axis to go to zero with all the others, then you will need to alter the function of the button with a screen editor.

If you would like to do that and do not know how then ask.

Hope this helps,

Greg