alternative axes used for totary work

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

alternative axes used for totary work

Post by PaulRowntree »

Can VCarvePro be told to produce wrapped toolpaths where the rotation axis is parallel to Y and the movement of the cutting tool along the radius is done by the X motion?

I am trying to design a system to turn larger diameter pieces than would fit under a normal 6" high gantry; one approach would be to have the work supported above the XY table, across the X rails, and then mount the tool so it is directed along the X axis.

Or is it a matter of plugging and unplugging motor cables?
Cheers!
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: alternative axes used for totary work

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Paul,
VcarvePro(v6.0) allows cylindrical wrapping along either the X or the Y axis. Take a look at the Wrapping Gadget and the wrapped job setup dialogue prior to opening a file to see what the options are.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Re: alternative axes used for rotary work

Post by PaulRowntree »

Hi Wes;
Yes, I was looking at the gadget and the tutorials. I have VCP6, but as far as I can tell, VCP always assumes that cutting into the material will be done using the Z motion, with translation parallel to the rotation axis by X or Y. I was wondering if the X or Y motion (which ever is not the wrapping axis) can move the tool into/away from the rotation axis.

Cheers!
Paul Rowntree

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Paul,
I did not understand that from the original post, but that is an interesting question. I would guess it would amount to swapping the Z and the Y or X axis in order to substitute this alternate method but would think you may need to do some motor tuning and or other adjustments to get the axis that is used for the alternate Z to perform the same. If all 3 axis had the same drive mechanism,reduction and driver/electronics it may not be too difficult, but on the CNC router I built each axis is using a different ball screw and lead and the X axis is also a larger motor than the others. Still I feel it is possible and should not be too difficult to implement. It will be interesting to see how you make out with this so please post some follow up information and pictures if you do go forward with this idea.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

If you are using Mach3, make a new profile from your existing one and make changes in the pin settings to change x y and z. Do a little motor tuning for your axis change and just go to that profile to use the lathe in this manner, any time you want without messing up your existing setup.

Roy

Vectric Apprentice

Post by 820 »

kilrabit wrote:If you are using Mach3, make a new profile from your existing one and make changes in the pin settings to change x y and z. Do a little motor tuning for your axis change and just go to that profile to use the lathe in this manner, any time you want without messing up your existing setup.
Roy
This is what I did but I went a step further:
I created a new desktop icon for the rotary so there are two Mach3 icons. Each has the profile for the intended use, Rotary or Router.
Then I took cell phone pictures of the Router and Lathe that I used for the icons.

820 (Ron)

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

Roy, Wes : Thank you! I was looking for a software solution, when the issue really is the configuration. Mechanically, it is not clear if my idea would be stiff enough. My rails are raised to shorten the gantry as much as possible, and this means the rotary workpiece would have to be relatively high up, and the tool would have to be out on an overhang to reach it. Doesn't sound good yet.

When the compromises start to accumulate, it may be better to build a dedicated XZ+rotary machine for larger diameters.

Ron : Good idea!

Cheers!
Paul Rowntree

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Paul - Building a dedicated rotary machine is the path I took. I just recently finished the build on my proof of concept and I'm in the process of testing and working the bugs out. I converted an old lathe I had in my shop. I should be able to work on objects up to 14" diameter. I haven't tried anything bigger than 10" yet. So far so good.

It seems to me that with your original idea, having to change the orientation of your tool between horizontal and vertical would get old real quick. Mounting dual tools would create other issues.

The one thing you can count on whichever way you go is that comprimises of one sort or another will accumulate.

Good luck with your project.

Ed

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

@Ed : Agreed on all fronts. Do you have a build log for your rotary machine?

Cheers!
Paul Rowntree

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Paul - Sadly, no build log. The current machine is just a proof of concept. I went really cheap on a lot of the frame components and linear guides so I wouldn't be throwing a lot of money away if it didn't work out. I really didn't think it would work, so I didn't document anything.

I'm surprised how well it's working at this point. When I build version 2 I'll document it.

Ed