Creating a round blank

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
Wallyign

Creating a round blank

Post by Wallyign »

I would like to make a round blank from a short piece of small tree trunk. These tree trunks are not perfectly round and there is some taper along it's length.

What I would like to do is specify the largest diameter of the piece, then specify the final size and the software would lower the Z axis by the step setting of the bit used. It would then machine the entire piece at this depth. Then the bit would return to the start position, lower Z the step distance and machine the entire piece at this depth.This would continue until the final size was reached.

Is this possible with Wrapped Rotary Maching Software or is there a better solution.

Thanks

Wally

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Re: Creating a round blank

Post by Greolt »

Wally

You have described what the "create rounding toolpath" gadget does to a tee.

Have a look at the PDF,

http://www.vectric.eu/support/Gadgets/C ... Gadget.pdf

And then ask any questions you may have.

Greg

Wallyign

Post by Wallyign »

Thanks Greg for the reply. I have reread the PDF file you suggested and I am still having problems.

The setting I use in the Create Rounding Toolpath are as follows:
I select Round ---- diameter 7.0"
Select roaster
Select allowance 0
Select 0.5" endmill with 40% stepover and 0.15" pass depth
settings at bottom --- cylinder diameter 7.0" --- cylinder length 20.5" and Xaxis

My goal is to start with a 7.0" cylinder and end up with a 6.75" cylinder. Because my pass depth is set at 0.15" it should make 2 cutting passes over material.

I tried changing cylinder diameter at bottom to 6.75" and/or changing the allowance to various settings.

All I end up with is one pass over material.

Wally

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

Wallyign wrote: My goal is to start with a 7.0" cylinder and end up with a 6.75" cylinder. Because my pass depth is set at 0.15" it should make 2 cutting passes over material.
Pass depth of 0.15" will reduce the DIAMETER by 0.3" each pass.

As you are only wanting to reduce the diameter by 0.25", then this will result in one pass.

Remember that each depth of cut will reduce the RADIUS by that amount. Or twice that amount off the diameter.

Also you have set the blank diameter and the finished diameter, the same size.

"I select Round ---- diameter 7.0""

"settings at bottom --- cylinder diameter 7.0" --- cylinder length 20.5" and X axis"

"Cylinder Diameter" at the bottom you should enter 6.75"

Greg

Wallyign

Post by Wallyign »

Thanks again Greg. This 72 year old mind is not used to working in circles and degrees. I did have the right settings at one point. I just didn't interpute the results corectly.

Another question, I use the Aussi AutoZero in Mach 3 but I can't seem to use it with the wrapping software. I think the degrees are screwing it up. Any ideas?

Wally

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

Wallyign wrote: Another question, I use the Aussi AutoZero in Mach 3 but I can't seem to use it with the wrapping software.
I think the degrees are screwing it up. Any ideas?
We are talking about two very different things here.

On the one hand we have Vcarve Pro or Aspire producing gcode. Wrapping or not makes no difference. It is just gcode.

The other thing is the controller, Mach3 in this case. We take the gcode to Mach, and Mach interprets it to run the machine where and how the gcode tells it.

The Auto Tool Zero feature is something that works entirely within the controller, Mach3. Nothing at all to do with the gcode.

It uses an electrical connection to the computer that Mach reads, and together with a VB script that Mach runs internally we are able to Auto Tool Zero.

If you describe the symptoms you are seeing, we may be able to help with that. Also post the VB script that you are running.

There is a lot of poorly written code floating around the internet. I should know, I wrote some of it. :lol:

Greg

PS: If you wanted to do that, it might be a good idea to start a new thread in the "Hardware Related Questions" section. It has nothing to do with Wrapping.

Wallyign

Post by Wallyign »

Greg

Thanks for the help so far... Greatly Appreciated... I will be out of town for a few days and when I return I will start a new thread as you suggested and post my AutoZero script file with a description of the symptons.

Wally