Gidday from a new wrapper in Australia

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
Aussie Engraver
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam Router with Mach3 Upgrade

Gidday from a new wrapper in Australia

Post by Aussie Engraver »

I've just upgraded my Multicam router engraver (8ft x 4 ft) with Mach3 and am delighted with the result!
Am now trying to figure out "wrapping" using my 4th axis and would like to connect up with with other guys using similar set up.
My current frustration is trying to draw a wrap in V Carve pro - seems to be an issue getting the Z set right - have figured that the cutting depth is homed at material centre (Y), but not getting a 360 degree wrap and in the 3D view. I'm having to set material thickness at half so only see half the material in 3D preview......Grrrrrr!
Also trying to figure out calibration of 4th axis - logic tells me it would have to work on degrees rather than a lineal measurement, but can't see how to do it.
Have been in the CNC game for over 10 years and can see great benefit in sharing ideas etc. I operate a 3D signage manufacturing business here - shopfront signs, light boxes, engraved timber signs and so on.
Look forward to connecting up with similar 3D chomping operators around the world......Cheers!

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Re: Gidday from a new wrapper in Australia

Post by Greolt »

Aussie Engraver wrote:
My current frustration is trying to draw a wrap in V Carve pro - seems to be an issue getting the Z set right - have figured
that the cutting depth is homed at material centre (Y), but not getting a 360 degree wrap and in the 3D view.
I'm having to set material thickness at half so only see half the material in 3D preview......Grrrrrr!
Can you post the example .crv file where you are having this trouble?

Tutorial in this thread may be helpful also.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7556

Greg

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Also are you setting up through the wrapper gadget for material set up??(probably in the link Greg posted)

Nick

Aussie Engraver
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam Router with Mach3 Upgrade

Post by Aussie Engraver »

Greolt wrote:
Aussie Engraver wrote:
My current frustration is trying to draw a wrap in V Carve pro - seems to be an issue getting the Z set right - have figured
that the cutting depth is homed at material centre (Y), but not getting a 360 degree wrap and in the 3D view.
I'm having to set material thickness at half so only see half the material in 3D preview......Grrrrrr!
Can you post the example .crv file where you are having this trouble?

Tutorial in this thread may be helpful also.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7556

Greg
Attachments
Wrapped Output radius problem.crv
Hi Greg - File attached
In Create rounding toolpath I have been inputting 100mm for the final cylinder dimension but it changes itself to 200mm.
Also V Carve calculates this on XY & Z axis. I have XYZ and 4. The 4 axis is my rotary which I've now succeded in setting to degrees - 360 degrees being one rotation.
How do I
1. get the Create Rounding Toolpath to work?
2. Develop a file that works with my Mach 3 XYZ & 4 axis?

Further info - this is a router table set up X axis is the gantry movement up and down the table.
Y is the spindle travel along the gantry. Z is the spindle or cutter depth and 4 is the rotary axis set parrallel to the gantry (Y) - hence I am wrapping X values around Y in the wrapping process
(14.5 KiB) Downloaded 289 times

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

Aussie Engraver wrote: In Create rounding toolpath I have been inputting 100mm for the final cylinder dimension but it changes itself to 200mm.
You are setting material thickness to 100mm. So this means the Radius is 100mm and therefore 200mm diameter.
How do I
1. get the Create Rounding Toolpath to work?
2. Develop a file that works with my Mach 3 XYZ & 4 axis?
First go and watch the tutorials in the link posted above.

Have you designated the 4th axis as "A"?

Are you using a wrapping Post Processor? Should be called, "Mach2/3-WrapX2A ATC(mm)(*.txt)"
Y is the spindle travel along the gantry. Z is the spindle or cutter depth and 4 is the rotary axis set parallel to the gantry (Y) - hence I am wrapping X values around Y in the wrapping process
That sounds about right.

Greg