Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Raccoons with Rustic Frame

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Mike,

VectorArt3D advertises the Design and Carve series for Aspire users and you really need Aspire to do what I've done here. The raccoons plaque consists of 6 3D models that have been merged (blended) and sized to create the scene with frame. The moose plaque was only 3 3D components because the forest and waterfall background is one image.

What you could do with 3D Machinist/Cut3D and VCP is machine the frame out of one piece of wood and then machine one of the VectorArt3D animal scenes (for example: http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index. ... l&ID=50051 in the B or C style) in another board that is sized for the rustic frame to fit over. When you are ready, glue the rustic frame onto the board with the animal scene and you would have a pretty nice wall plaque. To carry this idea a little farther, machine the frame out of a darker wood, the animal scene out of a lighter wood and look at the final product you could end up with.

If you kept this simple, you could do it all with 3D Machinist or Cut3D. Adding VCP into the mix gives you more control over positioning, adding text or 2D graphics, etc. You could use the Texture tool in VCP and add a hand carved look around the animal scene using shallow cuts with a large diameter ball nose bit.

I guess what I'm saying is don't let the imagination stop just because you don't have Aspire. Keep the creative juices going :D

Tim

I did a quick example to show you what I am suggesting. This picture was generated in Aspire, but it could be made without Aspire using the process above.
Attachments
Example wall plaque.JPG

woodwurker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Blurry Customs Ironman 24x36

Post by woodwurker »

Tim,

Thanks you so much for the reply. The items that you are explaining are dead on with what I was thinking. I wondered about the ablity to "Stitch" the D and C series with the other images such as the rustic frame and have one entity rather than two. I will have Aspire one day.....but until then, I will stay busier than I want to be...I think I can tell that just based on the interest people have shown in what I am doing.

I also understand that with all of the options and the only limitation being my imagination, I will stay very busy with the clients that I have already....heck and I dont even have the machine yet...but it is on its way...it has been ordered and should be her in 3-5 weeks....I am retired from the military...got in when I was 17 and out when I turned 37....being national guard...I wanted my weekends back to keep doing or at least have more time to do what I love and that was to continue woodworking as hobby and then MAYBE start a small side business. Well one thing came around and like so many of the guys that I work with at the good ol FBI do, they do the same thing after hours or on weekends that they do during the week. .....I work in electronics and the job itself can in effect cause you to want to pull your hair out and sometimes you just need a break from what you do full time. In additon to that so many people wait unit the are retired to start somehting that they love...or take it seriously....I have a few friends that started their businesses at 55-59.....and both of them said one thing...."man I wish I would have started this twenty years ago....hahaha." I dont think I have been this exicted about getting going in somehting of interest since I started playing sports in High School....now it is on to the good stuff and maybe make a few dollars along the way.

My intersts are doing plaque work, lithophanes, and some good ol rustic sign work....if you knew me well , you would know that my imagination is not lacking and it is bread in me to pay attention to detail.....maybe its the military in my veins,,,,I think that is why Don Kerschner and I get along so well.....he has really halped me understand so much and let me know where to start and let me see the potential in it all.....only time will tell.

Again thank you for your time,

Mike Craft
J&M Carving Creations
Vectric VcarvePro 7.0 and PhotoVcarve

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Happy to help Mike. Retired military here also.

Don't ever hesitate with questions, someone here will help.

Totally agree with your comments about Don, maybe I'll get to meet him this year :D

Tim

woodwurker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Blurry Customs Ironman 24x36

Post by woodwurker »

Tim,
We actually met this year at the Indianapolis Wood Show....had it not been for the time constaints that I was working with and also not taking into consideraiton the one hour time loss from Illinois to Indiana....I would have spent alot more time picking his brain...as it was I spent about 4 hours walkign around the show....and most of that thinking of new quesiotns to ask to clear up the mud......he has help me greatly and has become a pretty good friend....He is very knowledgable but I really think he is using me for my potential.....not my talent as of yet...hahahaha....Dont tell him I said that as his military background will not allow him to think correctly unless he is in a fighting postion....hahaha. Hooahhhh!!!

Mike
J&M Carving Creations
Vectric VcarvePro 7.0 and PhotoVcarve

DIT

Post by DIT »

rej wrote:how long of time for carving each toolpath?
and what speeds are you running?
thanks
Great work Tim!

Just out of curiosity how long did it take to machine?
Thanks and have a Blessed day,

Michael
Thermwoods C40 w/ 4th axis & C42 4 high production runs,

glenn
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home brew 40x20

Post by glenn »

Wow, and WOW!