Covered Bridge Scene

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: Covered Bridge Scene

Post by Phil »

Hi Tim and Jim,

I've made some changes to the scene based on your suggestions. Tim, using the left side wall to create a component for the inside wall worked well - I think. Jim, I fixed the trees.
What do you guys think?
Attachments
Covered Bridge Scene B.jpg

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

Hey Phil,
Here is your image (I adjusted it in corel photopaint) and I circled a couple of areas you may want to look at.
The small circle is just extending the eave down a little to match the other side. The bigger circle is for the back portion of the building you see through the front opening.

I just roughed it in by eyeballing the perspective lines, you will be able to do much better in Aspire.

But do you see how the back opening is offset down the perspective lines so that you can see through the building?

Sort of like this image I found on Google:
Anyway, just my free advice. Worth every penny, huh? :lol:

Tim
:D
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Phil,

I really like your drawing and love the topic (covered bridge!). One thing you might think about is the relative size of the fence compared to the deer. Since the fence is back a distance behind the deer it normally would be smaller scale-wise. Keep up the good work.

Fleming
Cobblewood Carver

JCTalbert,LLC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JCTalbert,LLC »

Phil,
Its coming along. I still a difference in the trees left versus the trees right. My opinion is that they should be the same height in the model since the viewing appears to be directly in front or just left of the bridge. Just makes it a bit off balance. Also there is some tall grass on the DVD that would look very nice in front of the fence. Not alot just some. I have split rail around my property and its never that manicured... LOL.. Keep going, you'll be our go-to shortly...
JCTalbert, LLC
Jim Dell(JD)
Custom CNC Services
Cabinet Design and Manufacturing
610.467.0CNC

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll post again as I make the tweaks.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

The covered bridge scene ver. 3.0 I reworked the bridge completely. The perspective is different but I think it works. The inside is supposed to look like a shaded image similar to the jpg Tim posted. I scaled down the fence and scaled up the deer. Also made adjustments in the trees behind the fence.
Attachments
Covered Bridge Scene B 2.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Scenes like this can be a challenge. That said. . . .

One way to approach them is to work from the back to the front. That is, draw in your mountains, then the distant trees, sketch the bridge and fence then add the deer. After all that. Walk away from your puter, do something else, then come back and see if actually looks "right".

What is nice is that Aspire will allow you to work exactly that way. You build the background and then just drop things on top of it, etc.

Putting in the vanishing points helps keep things, well, in perspective, too.

By the way, if you are doing this for yourself, the only person you have to make happy is yourself.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Really looking nice! One thing else you might want to consider is where your vanishing point really is if the bridge is a major focal point. I would suggest that the focal vanishing point is the horizon behind the back of the bridge where the mountains touch the ground. This might mean the back of the bridge needs to slope down a little. But as TReischl suggests what looks right to you is the most important.
Cobblewood Carver

JCTalbert,LLC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JCTalbert,LLC »

Phil,
I like the new perspective...Nice depth... Your bush needs some work merging with the fence and soften the trunk of the tree in the foreground and you have a piece.... Cut it and let us see it...
JCTalbert, LLC
Jim Dell(JD)
Custom CNC Services
Cabinet Design and Manufacturing
610.467.0CNC

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I want to thank the people who have provided input on this project, especially Tim. I haven't carved it yet, I've been busy with other projects. I know that working on this scene will help me with other scenes I have plans to create.
An important aspect of doing this type of work is creating the illusion of depth. Stacking the components by adjusting their BASE Z and HEIGHT is important. I've compiled a list that I saved in the NOTES for future reference. I'm including this list here for reference on the forum and welcome comments for improvement.

Component, base Z, Height

Background 0 .15
Mountains 0 .213
Bridge 0 .7
Tree 0 .914
Trees1-X-A .08 .2773
Cloud .1 .1162
Trees behind
bridge .1 .2089
Path .1 .65
Fence .3 .1776
Bushes .5 .2035

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I finally got around to carving the covered bridge sccene. Thanks for the help.
Attachments
Covered Bridge Scene (Small).JPG

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Phil, nice job, good to see some of the DC components being mixed with some you modeled yourself.

Cheers,
James