Covered Bridge Scene

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Covered Bridge Scene

Post by Phil »

I've been working on a scene from Vemont with a covered bridge.
Attachments
Covered Bridge Scene B.jpg

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Re: Covered Bridge Scene

Post by moto633 »

Nice Phil!

I like the texture in the sky.

Nick

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Phil,
It looks great. How big of a part are you going to cut this on? Thanks for posting it.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

PaulCNCMann
Vectric Craftsman

Post by PaulCNCMann »

Wow Phil, that looks great. I bet you've got a ton of time invested into this. Can't wait to see it cut.

Paul
Thanks
Paul Mannhardt

JCTalbert,LLC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JCTalbert,LLC »

Very Nice Phil.... A big fan of covered bridges... We go on a covered bridge tour here in the PA area each year... At one time we had over 100 to visist..Not many left, unfortunately. Thanks for capturing one...Please post again when completed...
JCTalbert, LLC
Jim Dell(JD)
Custom CNC Services
Cabinet Design and Manufacturing
610.467.0CNC

JCTalbert,LLC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JCTalbert,LLC »

Phil, There is also a nice 3D covered bridge on the 3dmodels website... They have it titled farmhouse which it isn't...
JCTalbert, LLC
Jim Dell(JD)
Custom CNC Services
610.467.0CNC

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm anxious to cut it out but I'm still playing with some ideas. I may pop in a deer or a moose. I drew it up at 12 x 32 so the finished carving will be approx. that size with some sort of frame. My shopbot is a benchtop model so I can't go any larger in one piece. I might do a recessed design.
Paul, thanks for the mention of the 3D model club covered bridge. I like it but I think most of their models are a bit overdone. I like James style better.

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

Hi Phil,
It looks good, but is it me or does the right side (inside the building) look a little funny?

Its almost like the perspective you used on the left side of the building is different from the right side.

Tim
:)
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

JCTalbert,LLC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JCTalbert,LLC »

I was going to say something that side of the bulding but didn't... LOL.. figured someone would speak up.. So I'll say something about the trees... under the bottom rung of the fence you have some that maybe faded and some that may not be...just observation....
JCTalbert, LLC
Jim Dell(JD)
Custom CNC Services
610.467.0CNC

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I appreciate the criticism guys. Working with Aspire to create the scenes is fun but it's also a challenge, which I enjoy. I wish I had an instructor watching over my shoulder who could provide tips and suggestions for improving my work.
Tim - the covered bridge was the biggest challenge for me. I had to review perspective techniques that I learned back in high school, search the forum for two rail sweep techniques, experiment, etc. I learned a lot. I really struggled with the inside wall and it still needs work.
Jim - you have a very good eye. I faded the trees when they were in another position. behind the bridge, and forgot to change them back when I moved them.
You guys are the instructor I was wishing for. Sincerely - thanks - I do appreciate it.

Phil

Navigator7
Model of CNC Machine: Maverick 3x5 Pro

Post by Navigator7 »

Phil wrote:Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm anxious to cut it out but I'm still playing with some ideas. I may pop in a deer or a moose.
I'm getting into the ShopBot and Aspire to satisfy my perverse political humor and goal to practice agitprop and then sell it. I think the biggest selling point of this program and cnc is the ability to produce uncommon things.

I went into Gary Larson's house one time. (The Far Side) The interior of his house was crawling with carvings of the creepy things he produced on paper. This was way before this type of work was possible. People hand carved snakes, little fat boys with coke bottle glasses and all manner of stuff adorned his walls and floor.

My example below is not developed but I hope you get the idea. No insult intended. When I saw the bridge the first thought was the movie I just watched. The Bridge Over The River Kwai

An up close inclusion from the side frame of the nutcase England commander's face profile would be funny to me....and that's what is appealing to me about this program.

By the same token..... A family portrait with T-rex behind seems like a money maker.

Ooops ...I see it's time to take another pill.....
;-)
"If you’ve got a business, you built that. Nobody else made that happen."

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard

Post by Turtle49 »

Phil wrote: Tim - the covered bridge was the biggest challenge for me. I had to review perspective techniques that I learned back in high school, search the forum for two rail sweep techniques, experiment, etc. I learned a lot. I really struggled with the inside wall and it still needs work.
Phil,
I definitely meant it more as a critique rather than criticism. :) I hope you took no offense. The scene looks good but I think the bridge could be improved.

I wonder, if you take a copy of the whole front of the building and move it along the perspective line and position it at the "back" of the building. Then chop out the part you can see through the opening in the front using the cookie cutter method. Maybe that corner could be improved very simply.

Does that make sense?
Tim
:wink:
Tim Hornshaw

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Tim,

there is positive criticism and negative criticism. Your was definitely the positive type.
From James tutorials I've learned the power of components. Each segment of the bridge is a component; front left side, roof, floor, inside. I can easily eliminate one and redo it.

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard

Post by Turtle49 »

Good to hear Phil,

But I want to be clear, I think instead of re-doing it you could just copy the front, run it back along the perspective line and shrink it down a little then cut out just the area you can see through the front door.

That should preserve your perspective and fill in that back corner...

Tim
:D
Tim Hornshaw

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I'll give that a try. Thanks, Tim