Rustic Coat Rack

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Rustic Coat Rack

Post by tmerrill »

Not to bore you, but just finished a coat rack with a very rustic design. We have many log cabins and post and beam homes in my area and I hope to sell this one.

Base material is a beautiful slab of ambrosia maple. The design is again another one of the included scenes with D&C 1, but I happen to like it. This one has the log cabin in the background.

What I did different this time is recess it in a rectangular dish and used Aspire's ability to Create Component from Preview to model a hand carved texture onto the sides of the rectangle.

Did I mention that Rustic Design means NO SANDING! Surface was handplaned, edges were left natural (with bark removed) and back is rough sawn just as it came from the sawyer.

Thanks for looking

Tim
Attachments
Rustic Design.jpg

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: Rustic Coat Rack

Post by gravirozo »

hello tim

very nice details... i like that butterfly shape... hold against splitting...

thanks
viktor

John Murphy
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 5010

Post by John Murphy »

Great piece Tim.!

John

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Nothing boring about it Tim!! Just another fine piece!!!

What are the overall dims? I really like the texture you put around the border, nice touch!

NO SANDING = RUSTIC ELEGANCE :lol:

Nick

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Thanks guys.

Victor,

Yes, the dutchman patch will prevent an existing crack from getting larger. I will glaze it darker after penetrating oil finish dries a few days.

Nick,

It is 54" long and averages 17" wide. Roughly 1 1/8" thick. It was VERY expensive! This board cost me $12!!! The sawyer is a friend and I'll make him something out it also.

I went back yesterday and bought 2 more boards from the same tree. One averages 21" wide and has some beautiful grain in it. Not sure what I'll use it for yet, just couldn't pass it up - these cost me $55 for both.

Tim

JCTalbert,LLC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JCTalbert,LLC »

Tim,
Thanks so much for sharing... Beautiful pieces... Just for my curiosity and for justifying software costs to the Wife... Got to love them....How much will you be selling pieces like your cots racks for...?
JCTalbert, LLC
Jim Dell(JD)
Custom CNC Services
Cabinet Design and Manufacturing
610.467.0CNC

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

JD,

I don't have a good answer for you yet. I have one place in particular who sells some of my items on consignment and I haven't caught up with the owner yet. He specializes in high end furniture and loves accessories like these, and is very in-tune with the local market so can normally help me price it accordingly.

My guess is it will be in the $175-300 dollar range of which he keeps 30% for his consignment fee. Considering I have less than $25 in materials (board and pegs), and about 2 hours hands-on for prep and finishing, I think that is a great ROI. Since I don't depend on my CNC to make a living, I don't feel the need to figure in machine time. So, even thought it took a lot of machining time, if it hadn't been making this coat rack on this day, the machine probably wouldn't have been running.

Items like this are very popular in my area (western NC) and I would think it would be the same in SE PA. We have many log cabins and post and beam style homes and the locals want to buy from local craftsmen, which is why the back of everything I make is engraved with my name and location. We are also a big tourist destination and all woodcrafts seem to sell well.

Good luck in your decision. I would think you could justify the investment pretty easily.

Tim

JCTalbert,LLC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JCTalbert,LLC »

Thanks Tim for the Info and keep up the grand work... You are right.. we have alot of the same clientele here in Amish country. Partly why I started this business aside from my day job which is suffering since I bought the Vcarve software. I can clearly see that I am not using my CNC to its fulliest. After looking at all the shapes and sizes of things posted on this site... Man...where do you start...this is impressive stuff..thanks again for your input to the industry
JCTalbert, LLC
Jim Dell(JD)
Custom CNC Services
610.467.0CNC

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

I didn't make the tie-in with the Amish until you said it. The furniture store owner's showroom is more for displaying samples. He then takes orders and routinely travels to Amish factories in PA, IN and OH to pickup the items, bring back and deliver. He said the furniture can't be beat, but wants the locals to provide him with wall items and other accessories. Clocks seem to be very popular, and hopefully with cold weather coming, coats racks will be also.

I first met him when I made his store sign (http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lnut#p5530). Gave him a good price on it and we've enjoyed a great relationship since then.

You might consider visiting some area furniture and craft shops to see what interest you can generate. You get the interest and we'll help you get started.

Tim

JCTalbert,LLC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JCTalbert,LLC »

Well thats very interesting... Let the store owner know that you have a direct tie to the Amish now. I manufacture furniture parts for several of the Lancaster area furniture makers. I have a rather large investment in the Planit (Solid Manufacturing software). We use it for kitchen cabinet design, layout and manufacturing. So I took the power of that software, designed the furniture pieces, since most are case type furniture..ie bookcases, entertainment centers, TV consoles and on and on, and cut specific pieces where it might be a considerable more challenge for those not having the technonlogy. Now... we have added more functionality with VCarve and probably Aspire next... The wife is going to shoot me...But we have to crawl a bit before running...Its a blast though... Been in the technology business for about 30 years and still here hoping to retire before hittng 55... So the software isn't to much of a challenge to work with.. Its the design and bringing it all together that can be a bit of a challenge... Hence poeple like you should do very well...Thanks for the time...let me know if the store owner needs any more Lancaster area contacts... I live about 20 minutes from the area... if you have never been you should go...its a Woodcrafting Meca....
JCTalbert, LLC
Jim Dell(JD)
Custom CNC Services
610.467.0CNC

Bob_S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop Max

Post by Bob_S »

Tim;
Nice work and some really interesting marketing discussion.
Did you need to go to 1/16 and rest machining for that piece, or did you do it all with a 1/8 ball mill? The more i cut pieces the less I like to clean them up by hand. Just seems to be tough to find the right balance between long cuts and missing small detail.
thanks
Bob
Even though you are on the right track - you will get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Bob,

For this piece I did the entire finish path with the 1/8" tapered ball nose. I doubt if taking the time to rest machine with a 1/16" bit would have provided enough increase in detail to warrant it. Also consider that a project like this would most likely be placed in a hall way or entry area and not something to be viewed across a large room at a distance.

If you remember the two wolf's head "story boards" I had at Jim's meeting, one was done with an 1/8" ball nose with 1/16" rest machining and the other done entirely with a 1/16" ball nose. The one with rest machining required a lot of hand work, because I did the 1/8" finish path one day, ran out of time, and did the rest machining the next day. Even taking the care to Z-zero in the same spot, the rest machine toolpath cut too deep. My assumption is wood movement through the night.

Tim