Looking out into the backyard - Project 2

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Looking out into the backyard - Project 2

Post by tmerrill »

I've started my second project since getting the new Wildlife D&C series and it's a work in progress. But I thought I'd share the major steps in case anyone is interested. The overall size will be 18" wide by 24" tall and approximately 1" thick.

First I created a window frame. Saved this as a component for future use.

Next I created a simple nature scene using the 3D images included on the disc. The squirrel in the tree is a VectorArt3D image I had previously purchased.

Finally, I used the Component Manager combine modes to merge the nature scene into the window frame.

Now I have some fine tuning to do, mostly with the size and depth of the nature scene components.

Then it's toolpath and cut. Wish me luck....

Tim
Attachments
Window.jpg
Nature scene.jpg
Rough product.jpg

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: Looking out into the backyard - Project 2

Post by Phil »

No need to wish you luck, Tim. There is no doubt it will be beautiful. What a neat idea. Your image brought to mind a picture that I like.
Attachments
Cow in window.jpg

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Phil,

That looks like it could be done in 3D pretty easy. Even the cow's face could be modeled pretty quickly (I think).

I got the idea for the window scene from attending craft shows in my area. Painters take old salvaged windows and paint outdoor scenes on the glass.

Tim

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Tim-

How weird.... the first project I thought of when I saw the new collection was a scene looking out a window! You must of been reading my mind.

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Jason,

How does that great saying go... great minds drink together, or something like that.

While watching the tutorials a lot of ideas popped into my head. Unfortunately I didn't write them down so probably need to watch the tutorials again with pen in hand.

Please don't hesitate to create some window scenes also. I would be interested in seeing your ideas and how you do them. If we only do one of something, we'll be dead in the water in no time.

Tim

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Making progress.

Did the rough pass yesterday. Took almost 2 1/2 hours. I took pictures but they aren't too exciting.

I just completed the finish pass. Picture shows window scene right off the machine. Finish pass took 9 1/2 hours using an 1/8" tapered ball nose at 2 ips.

Tomorrow will be a little sanding and start to finish. If all goes well I'll have finished pictures by Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for looking.

Tim
Attachments
After finish pass.jpg

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

WOW, that's awesome! :D
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Great job Tim!
How big is that part?
Are you going to use that your self or is that something you will sell?

Thanks,
Nick

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Nick,

It's 18"x24"x1". I'll probably keep the first one. Even with the fantastic preview mode the program gives us, when you cut it the areas requiring a little more work become clear. I'll also work on some designs that have it horizontal instead of vertical.

But I think this may be a popular item to sell in my area.

Tim

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Tim,
If you don't mind sharing....
Where do you market stuff like that and what kind of price will it fetch?

Thanks,
Nick

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Nick,

I live in an area where wood crafts and other products are very popular. If I were to market these I would either build up my inventory and rent space at one of the area craft shows once or twice a year or take them to a craft/furniture store and sell them under consignment. I've done that with furniture I've made and the normal consignment fee is 30%, plus with their market experience the owners can normally help you select an appropriate price.

In my situation, most of my stuff goes to family and friends, or my wife will take a sample into work and get orders. Then through word of mouth I normally get enough additional orders to help pay for tools, supplies and wood.

With the machine and finishing time I'll have invested in this when its done, I'll never get enough. I would probably price it around $125-$175 and see what happens. On the flip side, since I am not doing this to make a living, if I can have my ShopBot cutting one of these out while I'm doing something else, I don't see the need to try and charge for machine time for the finished product.

I have been told by many people to get a website up and sell that way. I am honestly afraid to do that because I'll loose control over how much I sell. In other words, I'm afraid of getting swamped with orders.

Does this make sense?

Tim

PS A word of wisdom, especially in this economy. You will find everyone wanting hand crafted quality, but at the WalMart price.

Guy Mathews

Post by Guy Mathews »

Tim,

I have seen many nice projects done with a CNC. This one in particular that you have created has made it into my top 10 list. Very unique and well executed. I have said it many times in other forums, "...the machine is only as good as the person that programs it..."

Well done.

Guy
Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Thanks Guy.

Check back tomorrow. I should have it finished and will post pictures.

Tim

swaggs21
Vectric Craftsman

Post by swaggs21 »

Awesome work as always Tim. I can't wait to get to your quality.
-Chris

The new woodworking site:
http://www.33degreeseastww.com

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

I'm laughing here Chris, but to obtain "my quality" the secret is to sit at your computer at night, a beer by your side, and design stuff while your wife (or bride to be) watches goofy stuff on TV. Then the next day you take the file to your shop and let the machine do all the work.

Seriously, your website shows you have the skill set and you seem to catch on quick, so I see you way up the learning curve real fast.

When you think about it, this forum is simply a bunch of good people going up the learning curve together. Some may be a day ahead of you, but you'll be there tomorrow.

Tim