Coat Rack using scene from new Wildlife D&C Series

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Dennis Cowan

Re: Coat Rack using scene from new Wildlife D&C Series

Post by Dennis Cowan »

Tim, I see what you are saying on the scale. Looking back on a couple of my last 3D cuts I would be close to a 1.4. thanks for the info. I looked back at Brady's post. Looks tricky and constant. Pretty much everything that I carve is in the range of detail of your coat rack. Do you run with a constant set up (if so can i ask you what it is) or do you adjust yours to every project?
Again thanks for the help.
Dennis

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Actually Dennis, I've haven't tried changing the values Brady discusses yet. Until the Wildlife series was released, I was doing smaller projects that took 2 to 6 hours to machine. Now I find myself with 8-12 hour runs and it would make sense to see if those could be shortened. So I plan on experimenting with the settings and keeping good notes to see if I can improve.

Another consideration is quality of cut. With the default settings I'm getting very good cuts that require little hands-on before I can start to finish. It won't make sense to me if I reduce the machining time by an hour, but add an hour to prepare it for finishing. The ideal situation will be to find settings that reduce the machining time but maintain the same quality that I'm seeing now.

Which ShopBot do you have? Mine is a 7 year old PRT 4896, but with the upgraded 4G controller.

Tim

Dennis Cowan

Post by Dennis Cowan »

Morning Tim, my bot is a 9660 alpha with a single spindle. It has only been out of the box for about 4 months. You helped me out a couple of months ago with getting my elk to set into the oval I was doing. I still have frustrating days but not as bad.
I agree with you on the speed vs. quality. Right now I have very little clean up when the job comes out. Seems that most of the cleaning is on the edge of what ever I am importing into my project.
If you experiment with the ramp settings let me know how it works for you. I might do a small sample piece with the settings that Brady suggests and see what it does.
Again thanks for the constant coaching.
Dennis

bevins
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bevins »

I am looking for the tutorial that shows how to work with recessed dish as you have stated. I cannot seem to find it. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Bob

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Bob, I think Tim is referring to Tutorial 9 on the disc, "creating B-style dish model with and without background"

bevins
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bevins »

Thanks, I'll look for that.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Bob,

Adrian is correct about tutorial 9. If I remember correctly, tutorial 11 is also a good one to view for this topic.

Adrian,

Thanks for helping out here. I've been without internet access since Thursday.

Tim