making 3D model

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

cambium
Model of CNC Machine: XJ1530ATC

making 3D model

Post by cambium »

Hi, I am struggling how to get from an imported file into a 3D model.
I made a test last week with a college but I now miss one important step. When does the 3D window show the model ? Is it only after making toolpaths ?
When I try to make a roughing or finishing TP I get the message : 'The composite model in empty', 'Tou must have a 3D model before attempting to create 3D toolpaths'.
I would appreciate it if anyone who knows how to solve this would reply.
Thanks,
Cambium
IMG_0625.jpeg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: making 3D model

Post by Adrian »

Is that a 3D model? Looks like 2D vectors to me that you would machine with profile and/or pocket toolpaths not the 3D toolpaths. Alternatively if you're trying to make a 3D model from 2D vectors you have to create the shapes first using the 3D modelling tools on the modelling tab.

Have a look at the tutorials at http://support.vectric.com

cambium

Post by cambium »

Thanks Adrian, you are right it's 2D vectors.
My question is how to move on to the 3D model.
Here is a foto of what it should be.
Attachments
IMG_0626.jpeg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

That's a bit of an involved subject to go through in a forum post. The introduction to 3D modelling tutorial will give you a good grounding in what is required to create a 3D model - http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... 3DMOD.html

cambium

Post by cambium »

Thanks again, I found out that I had to import the 3D file instead of making it. So obvious....

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

cambium wrote:Thanks again, I found out that I had to import the 3D file instead of making it. So obvious....
As you are an Aspire user then you could have made the 3d model yourself, Aspire contains modelling tools for that purpose, you just need to know how to use them which can be quite a steep learning curve. That is what I am in the process of doing myself but it will be some time before I am proficient enough to be able to use them properly, until then I will continue to do what I used to do when I was using vcarve pro (which doesn't contain all the modelling tools) & that is to either buy or find free models that I could import :lol: :lol: :lol: