Design & Carve for hire?

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

pshupe
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro HD

Design & Carve for hire?

Post by pshupe »

Hey guys I just purchased a CNC Shark Pro HD and it comes with the Cut3d and Vcarve pro software. I am really interested in the Design & Carve software, but after spending $5k on the machine and software I just don't have the cash to plunk down an extra $3k for Aspire plus the D&C disks. I wish I could just buy the D&C disks and use it with Vcarve pro or Cut3d but alas, I assume, this is not possible. I think it is definitely the right price for those 2 disks but just don't know what advantage I'm getting with Aspire and the extra $2k. Anyway, I digress.

I'm working on a little project for my dad. It is a back resonator plate for a banjo. It is basically a 10" diameter black walnut disk that is 3/4" thick. I want to do a little wildlife scene on the back of it. I would provide a sketch based on the design and carve objects from the website and I would like someone to develop tool paths for me. Is there a way you could make a Vcarve pro file, or cut3d file so I can load it up and see what it looks like in those programs? That would be ideal. Then I could generate my own tool paths.

Please contact me if you are interested. Thanks a lot.

Regards Peter.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Design & Carve for hire?

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Peter,

The VectorArt 3D license agreement does not allow anyone to share design or toolpath files that will machine one of their models. You could get someone to design and cut the entire part for you but they would maintain the design and cutfiles.

Some of the models included with the Design and Carve series are unique to those collections, however many can be purchased individually from VA3D. Have you searched their website for the model you want?

If you can find the model you want, and purchase it, you can set the toolpaths up yourself in Cut3D and import them into the VCP project to machine the entire piece. There are tutorials for this and people on the forum here would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Tim

pshupe

Post by pshupe »

Thanks Tim - I didn't realize that, obviously. It's funny that you mention the vector art because I was just over there downloading the free models and trying them out in cut3d and Vcarve pro. They are pretty easy to manipulate in Vcarve pro. I'm wondering why I cannot just buy the D&C disks without having to purchase Aspire? I guess it is the nature of overlaying and adding the different scenes together that necessitates having Aspire. I might see if I can layer some of the free vector art models and see how that works. Thanks for the tips.

As I have said I really like the D&C content and the price is right, but buying Aspire is just way too much, for me, right now. It's kind of a catch 22. If I had Aspire and D&C I could make some really cool signs which I could sell for more $$$, but I need the $$$ to buy the software. Same old same old!

Thanks again Tim.

Cheers Peter.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Peter,

Both D&C series are aimed at Aspire users as they offer a package deal - models, scenes and tutorials. As such, all files are in .crv3d file format, which can only be opened with Aspire.

Based on some selection process, some of the models and scenes have been converted to .v3m and .stl formats and sold individually on the website.

If you have specific questions on model availability, don't ever hesitate to email them at info@vectorart3d.com or support@vectorart3d.com and I'm sure they will address your questions/comments.

I understand Aspire is a lot of money, but for what you are getting it is the best deal out there. I'm not sure where you live, but if it is in any type of area where these models and scenes would be popular, it probably would not take long to justify the cost. There is so much you can do: clocks, wall plaques, retirement plaques, coat racks, gun racks, fishing pole holders, personalized boxes, etc. and the models will set them apart from the competition. Just something to think about.

Tim

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

You can also get a model and use the free vector art program to create the toolpaths and then import into vcarve pro. I believe if you got the D and C series youcan do that but not 100 percent positive. But like others say, it has tutorials for aspire, which is the main reason for the discs, but the model may be availabe by itself.

Bob

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

If you already have Cut3D, which the OP said he did, then the free 3D Machinist program doesn't do a thing for you. Cut3D contains many more features and flexibility.

Tim

signmarketingman
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Professional done home built.

Post by signmarketingman »

I had the exact same challenge. No money but big dreams. I went ahead and purchased the Aspire anyway. It was paid for within weeks.Just go ahead and get it. Then go out and use it.. It will pay off.

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

Tim,
he also stated he has v carve pro

Bob

pshupe

Post by pshupe »

Yeah - it's a big decision as it would be about 40% of what I paid for my CNC machine to get Aspire and D&C. The CNC machine is much more tangible. $3000 for software, that I don't have any experience with, and one that looks great, but is difficult to tell how well I could use it, is a lot of cash.

I have downloaded the Aspire trial and am playing around with it a little bit, but obviously is a little difficult to see whether I could really use it. I have watched a few of the D&C tutorials and they look really good. Decisions, decisions!

I wish there was someway of demo'ing the D&C as well.

Cheers Peter.

milo30
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese ATC 4X8 with Centroid Acorn

Post by milo30 »

Don't forget, you don't have to buy Aspire on top of the other software since it has both in it. You can upgrade vcarve to aspire and save $500

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Hi Peter,

I understand about how expensive the software is but as others said you can certainly make the money back once you get started. You have to work at it and enjoy the computer and software training but it's incredible. I think a lot of us spend money on the CNC rather than other expensive past times.

I've got both the Design and Carve programs and I've learned so much from the tutorials that those alone made the purchase worth it to me plus some great models and project layout files. I've been bugging James every time I see him about when the next D&C program will be release but so far no date yet but I will be first in line when its released.

You can do a lot with what you have and possibility make some money before you purchase Aspire and D & C programs. If you like the detailed work it's a great adventure.

Mark