Motor Tuning

customcnc

Motor Tuning

Post by customcnc »

Hello, I have upgraded from Mach2 to Mach3 and I am having trouble tuning my motors. Is there a simple way to get them to run smoothly and eliminate jerking. Just when I get them to move to where I think they should be, they seem to be jerky moves. In Mach3 I thought when you brought up the Mach3 Motor Tuning screen that you could check the movement without exiting the screen. Mine does not let me do that. Any ideas. Thanks

madtownrob

Re: Motor Tuning

Post by madtownrob »

FYI - you need to hit apply and SAVE AXIS setting prior to switching to the next axis to modify. Jerkiness can be caused from your constant Velocity settings or CV being turned off. There is a lot of info on CV at cnczone and the mach support forum...

Motor tuning can be frustrating to say the least.

marju

Post by marju »

Hi, I would suspect the drives for your motors, if you have the Geako 203 drives there is an adjusment for smooting the actions of the motors. The slower you jog more you will notice this jerking and louder the noise will be, maybe for the other drives there is an adjusment that I'm no aware off.
Hope this helps

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi customcnc

for motortuning, you might count on a few detail...
very generally a steppermotor works on 500rpm very stable... you can drive it over, but the result is not sure...

so with an example "it is my settings" ...

500x 5mm (lead of screws) 2500 mm per min... i can accelerate up to 4000 approximately... how ever i limited to 3000 sure in all circumstances will work and don't loose steps...

about jerking... mainly it comes from the system rigidity, and motorsizes... a wellbuilt router like thermwood will run around 1000ipm... a homebuilt, might be 70-100... or so... (some of run faster)
if your accelerating too high, the router will jerking, because the whole system is deflecting..
also very generally you can set acceleration about 8-10 percent of maximum speed... the too low acceleration wil result bad long lines where z is elevating too much, like on model edges..

viktor