Axis Tuning

customcnc

Axis Tuning

Post by customcnc »

Upgraded Mach2 to Mach3 and my xyz axis move but are really slow. What do I need to adjust, anyone with answer and how to do it. I am new to this, Thanks

Timvmax
Vectric Wizard

Re: Axis Tuning

Post by Timvmax »

Easiest way I think is to go to the Settings screen (5th tab along the top)
You'll need a dial indicator on your axis to get it spot on, but for initial rough settings I suggest a steel rule
Look down to the bottom left, you'll see a button that says "Set steps per unit" (just above the big red reset button)
When you select this it brings up a little window that askes which axis you want to set
Ok, that then type in the next window how far you want it to move, then press ok, TAKE CARE, the axis will now move!
Measure how far it really moved and type that in and it will set your steps automatically, you just have to accept it and you're done.
Repeat as many times as you like to get it accurate, like I said , you'll need a dial indicator
Sounds complicated but it's self explanatory when you start
Hoss has a great video here that shows the process really well

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello customcnc,
Tim has replied with how to calibrate the axis but I think what you are asking for is how to do some motor tuning?
If you click the 'Config' tab along the top menu a drop down menu will appear and you will select the 'Motor Tuning'
item from the list. You can tune each of your axis motors with this utility and you will probably want to write down the current settings for the acceleration and velocity so you can always go back to your earlier settings. If the axis are moving but seem slow you should be able to increase your values for the velocity and acceleration in small increments and then job the axis to see how it affects the overall performance for that axis. Keep increasing until your motor begins to stall and then back off from that setting say 20 - 30% for a safe buffer against stalls etc. Do some more trials with your axis prior to trying any material cutting to make sure it all works well. If you have your initial settings written down and also write the tuned settings down you will have a reference to use if you should need to do any more fine tuning.
There is a more detailed description on how to do this on the Mach users forum, and you might want to read through that prior to actually doing any motor tuning on your machine. I hope this helps!
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

Timvmax
Vectric Wizard

Post by Timvmax »

Sorry guys, I mis-read the question
When I upgraded my Mach, the "steps per" setting changed so I just assumed the same thing had happened
Thanks for picking it up Wes :)