Axis resolution.

customcnc

Axis resolution.

Post by customcnc »

Hello, can anyone explain how to adjust z axis using Mach2. When I zero z on table and tell it to move 1 inch, it moves approximately 0.60. I have 1000 steps and that is about all I know about it. Can anyone help. Thanks.

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: Axis resolution.

Post by gravirozo »

hi customcnc

greetings on the forum..

you need to calculate the steps per unit...

with an example,

your screw is 5 turn per inch (lead)
your motor turn 1 times with 1000 steps..

so, for 1 inch need to turn your screw 5x1000

this number you need to set in in the axis settings... after you set click on save axis settings

viktor

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello,
There is also an Axis Calibration tool in Mach that will help you calibrate each of your axis. Click the 'Settings' tab and just above the big red Reset button you should find the Axis Calibration tool. Click that button and then select the axis you want to calibrate, key in a desired distance to move the axis and click the OK button... the axis will move the distance keyed into the box and you need to take the actual measurement of how far it really moved. Mach will prompt you for this information and will calculate the required change to compensate for the difference between the distance keyed in and the actual distance traveled. Try it again and verify that the change has corrected the current axis and change again until you get accurate traveled distances for your axis. It is fairly user friendly and if should be a lot easier that calculating the factor for each axis. I hope this helps!
Attachments
AxisCalibrationMach.JPG
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Wes,
I just got off the phone with this fellow and he is running mach2. I was trying to run him through that set up but that button is not on the mach2 version.

Do you know how it is done in mach 2??

Thanks
Nick

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

it looks simpler to use the "calibrating" function... however the calculation more precise, what is the purpose it..
the documentation also suggest it..
with calibration, he might set an exist backlash in the steps, and by this an inlaywork might wont work out...

http://www.machsupport.com/docs/Mach2Mill_6.11.pdf

also, mach users are entitled for the free upgrade, as artsoft, (maker of mach3) states on their website...
same password will work with both version...

viktor

edit
the calibrating migh be a help with rack and pinion, where manufacturers not always keep the moduls, or using compensated gears..
i think you wont go wrong if you download the mach3... also more users for...

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello,
I agree with Viktor, you might be better off to download the newer version and give it a try. I am not using the newest version but I do use Mach3 so sorry for offering invalid information for use with Mach2.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

That is what he was going to do.
If he calls back in the am and I'm not off to soccer with the kids I will walk him through the steps in mach3 to set his resolution.

HOW YOU BEEN WES AND VIKTOR??? :D

Best,
Nick

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

nick

koszonjuk, mi jol vagyunk :-)

nick we don't know from this side of our computer what's going in the world... so we are guessing only..
anyway nice to see your will for help..

best regard
viktor

ps, you're in america... so no soccer but american fotball :-)