what's down with pocket cuts?

kauffwoodproducts
Model of CNC Machine: shark pro

what's down with pocket cuts?

Post by kauffwoodproducts »

Hi, anyone with this pain in the pocket?
I would say 9 times out of 10 trys my shark pro with Vectric 5.5 software stops into 2nd pass in pocket cuts. That is it goes full length cutting, returns, starts 2nd pass and in about 3 seconds stops and resets its home and restarts if I don't hit pause in time. It does not act this way if I choose V-carve as my pocketing "slow" choice. It seems to stop exactly in the same spot with each attempt. Even with raster cut.
Now here's a little twist...
It only happens if I join all pocket tool paths together. That is if I have a few pockets to make on the same piece of wood.
If I run each pocket separate, that is 1st pocket is cut then returns to 000 position, I pull up new g code pocket and start that one, returns 000 and restart the next and so forth. I can not group them for these problems will occur.

Possible setting somewhere got change?
I'll catch the g code as it's happening next time.

.......Thank you for any help Steve

Woodbutcher-59
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt 3'x5'x6"

Re: what's down with pocket cuts?

Post by Woodbutcher-59 »

Hi Steve,

Just a shot in the dark here, but is it possible it is stopping to wait for a tool change ??

A tool change you don't need, obviously....

I use Mach3 so i don't really know where you would check for this other than to be sure you are not using
an ATC post processor in Vcarve 5.5

I'm sure a Shark user or two will jump in here....

Jeff
Aspire 12
Mach 3

" I'm tryin to think but nothin happens " - Curly Howard

kauffwoodproducts

Thanks Jeff, I don't think that's it. I'm surprise nobody else has had this problem. I might have to dig deeper on this. Thanks for replying back with your thoughts. Steve

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

Steve - When you say "...I join all pocket tool paths together...I can not group them for these problems will occur.
.."
I'm left with some questions.

How are you joining / grouping your toolpaths? Are you selecting multiple pocket vectors and creating one toolpath or are you creating a toolpath for each pocket vector and then manaully merging the multiple *.tap files into a single *.tap file. Or are you doing something else?

I'm also not sure what you mean by "...It does not act this way if I choose V-carve as my pocketing "slow" choice..." Can you explain a little more about what you mean by "pocketing slow choice" and choosing V-carve (in relation to pocketing)?

What are you using to control the shark? The shark control program or something else (e.g. Mach 3)?

I have not had this problem with my shark pro, but maybe I can help you figure out why you are having the problem.

Ed

kauffwoodproducts

Hi Ed,
I'm grouping all of the same toolpaths that consist with the same bit. (cut) Three different size pockets that have the same router bit. It's in order to get all my pockets done than change bit for another cut. Like mill bit for all the profiles that need cutting out.
So I guess it's creating a toolpath for each pocket vector then grouping them in the save toolpaths tab output all visible toolpaths to one file. It makes the list up.
As far as pocketing "slow choice" v-carve, I was just saying if I used the vcarve as a dry "no cutting" run, it works fine. Does not stop. I wouldn't use v carve mill/bit to pocket. It's just it ran with no problem.
The program is the one that came with it. 5.5 software.
another thing, oval pockets, no problem. It's the rectangle shapes that stop once it does a full length cut and returns for another pass. It's then, 3 or so seconds into the next pass that it seems to stop, few seconds pass then resets itself with new bearings for Y ? (it's the length of cut that resets)

I'll keep running more tests..... Thanks Ed I hope you have some ideas. Steve

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by spinningwood »

Steve - I cut all sorts pockets, all sorts of shapes and all sorts of sizes. I've never had the problem you are experiencing. My first guess is that something you have specified in VCarve when you are doing multiple pockets is causing your problem. If you could post your *.crv file I would be happy to look at it and see if I can spot anything. It would also help if you could attach a *.tap file for one of the combined toolpaths that are giving you problems. I can try running that on my machine (after I look at the code) and see what happens.

Just to be clear. Although the VCarve software comes with the shark, it's a completely seperate product from the shark. VCarve is a vectric product. VCarve includes a post processer so it can generate the gcode that the shark needs, but it does not include any capability to actually "run" the shark.

Next Wave Automation ("NWA") provides provides the control panel that you use to actually run the shark, but there are other control programs you could be using. Mach 3 is a commonly used alternative (not so much on the shark, but on other machines). I'm going to assume that you are using the control program that you downloaded from NWA, in which case there is not a lot you could have changed there to be causing your problem. If you are using a different control program, let me know because some of them provide opportunities to unintentionally crash toolpaths.

Ed

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

are you using the demo mach3 (limited code lines?)
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

kauffwoodproducts

Thanks Ed, James
I heard about "soft limits" I don't think I have that option. But what I'll do is test it a different way. I'll make my Z's at a different point. start at the bottom right corner. And see where it stops.
All of my saved pocket jobs from the past run ok. It's just this revised piece that I'm doing is a problem. Along with mill/pocket leveling of my spoil board.
This whole thing is probably a over site of something I'm doing that is different. So I'm looking forward to probably a good dumb laugh! Thanks and I'll submit a file on the forum here soon. Thanks for all the help Steve

kauffwoodproducts

Hi Ed, James
I hope this helps. correction, it stops in v-carve also. This snip I sent of the page I worked on is interesting. I blew it up as you can tell. What do you think is wrong?

Thanks for the help. Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Can you post the actual CRV file so we can see the vectors etc?

kauffwoodproducts

Hi Adrian, Ed, and everybody else that's involved with my problem. Thanks again! My 1st attempt at File sending is attached. cross my fingers and hope for the best! Thank you Steve

This one is just a simple leveling of spoil board.

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Steve,

Thanks for attaching the file.
You have not included the toolpath file that you sent down to the machine,
but I have posted out a file using the "CNCShark-USB Arcs (inch)(*.tap)"
post processor. I chose the option to save all visible toolpaths to one file.

I have taken a look through the NC code and viewed it through a 3rd party toolpath
viewer.
There is no code within the file that instructs the machine to either dwell or
reset it's home position within the file.

A couple of things that might help to narrow down the problem.
Is the machine making a noise at the point when it dwells?
(Could it be hitting a stop in one of the axes?)

Does the same problem occur if you run the file at a slower feed rate on the machine?

Cheers,

Mark.

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by spinningwood »

In his first message, Steve said he only had the problem when he "joined toolpaths together". Single pocket toolpaths cut fine. I'm assuming that the CRV file he attached in his most recent post works fine on his machine for cutting the single 3 x 22 pocket. Of course, he didn't say so we are left guessing as we try to help.

If the crv file he attached does cut as expected on his machine then it's worthless for tyring to figure out why he's having the problem he says he's having.

If he intends to create a multipocket toolpath by just copying a couple of the 3x22 toolpaths files into a single file, then that could be the problem. But who knows. It's like trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle where a bunch of the pieces are missing.

With a 22" pocket, hitting a stop and losing steps is a possibility. But that would happen on a single pocket, not just when he "joined toolpaths together".

This might be really easy to solve if Steve would just attach the crv and tap files that are actually giving him the problem. How about it Steve.

Ed

kauffwoodproducts

Ed, Thanks for your reply. It's an ongoing problem. I chose a simple project that stopped also. It's also in Vcarve tooling now. Not just pocket. It's my 1st attempt to send a file. So I guess I didn't send everything. Let me retry. Sorry for the mix-up scramble communicating.
Also about "noise" yes, it makes a noise. Meaning when it stops, heading into the 2nd pass, it hums while stopped for approx 5 seconds then changes it's bearings. Stays on the same course, but offset by inches off. HELP!

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi
You didn’t tell us you were losing zero. Sounds like your machine is binding up. You have your feed rate set at 100 ipm. Is your machine rated for that? Try slowing down your feed rate. Check your machine, make sure it is in proper adjustment.
Dan
People go though many trials and tribulations. Some of them actually happened.