Problems with Routing

deane59

Problems with Routing

Post by deane59 »

The problem that I'm having is on some script lettering. I make my file like I have always done with success and send it to the router. The insides of the letters will cut and then when the outside cuts, the outline will be at least 3 inches off. To solve this problem I made two separate files. The inside of the letters cut out just fine and then when I loaded the new file of the outline, it did the same thing-- 3 inches off. I thought maybe I was loosing steps but feel that the machine is cutting exactly the info it's receiving. I'm at my wits end.
I have a 4x4 Multicam router with an Ascension 1000 controller. I have checked all the connections and they seem to be all right. Could it be the V Carve Pro software? The preview in the program looks right on. What could be making me pull out all my hair? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Of course this project is suppose to be ASAP. Thanks

Woodbutcher-59
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt 3'x5'x6"

Re: Problems with Routing

Post by Woodbutcher-59 »

Hi,

If you can post your .crv file i"m sure someone here could figure it out....In my experience if the preview looks OK
then it probably is a machine (or controller) issue.

Jeff
Aspire 12
Mach 3

" I'm tryin to think but nothin happens " - Curly Howard

deane59

Post by deane59 »

Here is the .crv file for anyone to look at and give me an answer. Thanks, Michael
Attachments
young art johnnies.crv
(88.5 KiB) Downloaded 215 times

Woodbutcher-59
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Woodbutcher-59 »

Michael,

What type of toolpath(s) were you trying to cut ? Vcarve, Profile, or what ?

Let me know and I'll give it a try....

Jeff
Aspire 12
Mach 3

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi
You have a 4 x 4 router cutting a 4 foot sign. Are you hitting the machine limit?
Dan
People go though many trials and tribulations. Some of them actually happened.

deane59

Post by deane59 »

The table limits are 50" x 50" so I wasn't hitting the limits. The tool path I was using was a .125 endmill and the material was 1/4" pvc. I just went ahead and cut an old file that I knew was fine when I did the job. The result was the same. So now I'm thinking it must me the machine or processor.

Woodbutcher-59
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Woodbutcher-59 »

Hi,

Try making some simple vectors...like a 6" x 6" square...and see if the machine moves the correct amount.

Not familiar with your machine, but check for loose motor couplers or anything that could cause it to lose
position.

Jeff
Aspire 12
Mach 3

deane59

Post by deane59 »

Jeff,
Made the 6" x 6" square and it came out dead on. Anymore ideas?
Thanks,
Michael

Woodbutcher-59
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Woodbutcher-59 »

Hi,

Gotta say I'm running out of ideas....you mentioned in your original post that you felt the machine was cutting the instructions it was receiving and your test seems to confirm this, although it is possible it just didn't mess up at THAT particular moment.

Are there any offsets in your controller software that could have been set ?? Grasping at straws here....

Was your error Exactly 3" each time or did it differ ?? If it is not the same then that suggests to me something in your machine slipping...

Jeff
Aspire 12
Mach 3

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

try to place diagonally on your table.. that way the x and y be far less than 48..

before you start to cut, try outside contur in the air, without inside would start.. means, make a toolpath for outside contur only, and try it in the air...

viktor

deane59

Post by deane59 »

I think I may have discovered the problem. I called a buddy that is really with it when it comes to troubleshooting and he had me look at the velocity and also the acceleration. He had me lower both. He also had me change the megahertz from 25000 to 35000. I knew that a long time ago I had changed it to the 35000 but how it was 25000 and changed without me changing is beyond me. Well, anyway I thought it solved my problem. I put in a sacrificial sheet in and cut and it was perfect. I then loaded my good sheet and it screwed up again. I called my bud and he said that he believes that I maybe have a short in the wiring. Now I just have to find it. Wish me good luck!
Thanks, to all those that took a look at my problem.